Power Steering fluid change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering fluid change

I need to change my Power Steering fluid cuz Ive never done it since I got the car brand new in 2001. Im sure the fluid has wore down a good bit and needs new in it. How is the easiest way of draining the fluid out of the resvoir and out of the steering rack. Im guessing take off a lind on the bottom of the tank then turn the wheel a few times to push all the fluid out. The do the same when refilling. Let me know if this is right in any way, if not let me know what to do.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Re: Power Steering fluid change

i used a turkey baster and sucked all that i could out then surned the ras wheels all the weay left sucked more out then the same to the right filled it up did the same thing next week
    2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
    1991 3000GT VR4
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

suck it out with a turkey baster

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

be sure to use royal purple powersteering fluid.. thats good stuff man!
        2001 Camaro 3.8 A4
        1991 3000GT VR4
        2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Here's the best way to flush out your power steering fluid.

1) Put a container under the return line where it connects to the reservoir.
          2) Loosen the clamp and disconnect the return line at the reservoir.
          3) Let the reservoir drain into the container until empty.
          4) Cap or block off the reservoir return port.
          5) Fill the reservoir with new fluid.
          6) Put the disconnected end of the return line in the container to capture the fluid being purged.
          7) Without the engine running, crank the steering wheel back and forth from one extreme end (or stop) to the other. When your doing this constantly check the reservoir level and make sure its always full.
          8) When the fluid discharging from the return line is clean, stop cranking the steering wheel back and forth.
          9) Remove the blanking cap from the reservoir return port and quickly install the return line to the reservoir. Tighen the clamp.
          10) Make sure the fluid level is correct.
          11) Start the engine.
          12) With the engine running, again crank the steering wheel from one stop to the other a couple of times.
          13) Shut the engine down.
          14) Make sure the fluid level is correct.
          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Ok I was jsut checking if what I thougth was right or not on how to do it. I forgot about Royal Purples power steerign fluid. I use there oil and rearend oil.
            www.vaperz.com

Comment

I used Valvoline synthetic. It was the only synthetic power steering fluid that I could find around here at the time.

When I got the car at 80K miles the power steering fluid was black! I flushed it out (as I previously described) with the Valvoline stuff and now at 105K miles the fluid is still crystal clear. I flushed a whole bottle of fluid through the system before it came clean.
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Ill probably get a couple of bottles of cheap stuff to purge and clean the lines system. Then put in the Royal Purple stuff to fill it.
                www.vaperz.com

Comment

Originally posted by CDNFB
                  Here's the best way to flush out your power steering fluid.

1) Put a container under the return line where it connects to the reservoir.
                  2) Loosen the clamp and disconnect the return line at the reservoir.
                  3) Let the reservoir drain into the container until empty.
                  4) Cap or block off the reservoir return port.
                  5) Fill the reservoir with new fluid.
                  6) Put the disconnected end of the return line in the container to capture the fluid being purged.
                  7) Without the engine running, crank the steering wheel back and forth from one extreme end (or stop) to the other. When your doing this constantly check the reservoir level and make sure its always full.
                  8) When the fluid discharging from the return line is clean, stop cranking the steering wheel back and forth.
                  9) Remove the blanking cap from the reservoir return port and quickly install the return line to the reservoir. Tighen the clamp.
                  10) Make sure the fluid level is correct.
                  11) Start the engine.
                  12) With the engine running, again crank the steering wheel from one stop to the other a couple of times.
                  13) Shut the engine down.
                  14) Make sure the fluid level is correct.
                  What about the fluid in the rack? Couldnt you just suck that stuff out with a wet/dry shop vac? The reason I ask is cause this rack is filled with metal shavings.
                  Its bad to hold the steering wheel all the way left, or all the way right.
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Originally posted by vr4gasm
                    i used a turkey baster and sucked all that i could out then surned the ras wheels all the weay left sucked more out then the same to the right filled it up did the same thing next week
                    HAHAHAH, i did the same thing!
                    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                      What about the fluid in the rack? Couldnt you just suck that stuff out with a wet/dry shop vac? The reason I ask is cause this rack is filled with metal shavings.
                      Its bad to hold the steering wheel all the way left, or all the way right.
                      yes it is for more than like 6secs but he isnt talking about holding it there, just getting to that point and then going back.
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

The procedure that I describe is without the engine running, thus no strain on the pump and components. By cycling the steering from stop to stop with the pump not running (cause the engine is not running), it is the rack that now draws the clean fluid from the reservoir and pumps the old fluid(including contaminates) through the return hose into the container.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X