Power Steering Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Problem

I am getting sick of having power steering problems. When i turn the wheel more than 90 degrees at above 2000 rpms i get this horrible whining noise. Below about 2K rpms, i get now power steering. Parking is getting to be a chore. I've done some searching and I see that there are power steering seal kits to rebuild the pump. Does my problem sound like a leaky seal as i get some power steering when revved high enough or is the pump just shot? Thanks for your replies.
    96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

i have the whinning too but is periotic but the one thing that gets me is sometimes it also slightly shacks alittle, but not too much

[ May 12, 2004, 12:13 AM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

the only time I get the whinning noise is when I cut the wheel all the way to one side
      1996 Polo Green Metallic Camaro:<br />SLP CAI, Carsound/Magnaflow 3\" in/out cat, Flowmaster 2.5\" cat-back... sounds great

Comment

When i go to change my oil fuel filter i'm going to change the fluid and put in some "sealing" fluid. Anyone have any experience with this?
        96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

I if i were you, id just spend the little bit of money and get the p/s system pressure tested. Sounds like there is a bind in the system. Also if you change your p/s fluid i would look into an inline filter for your system. Contamination is one of the premier causes of p/s failure. Also they say Honda p/s fluid is the best out there. Cant mistake it cause its clear. Good luck!

Brandon
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside</a>

Comment

heeh my car is doing the same exact thing too...

Some sort of internal pump failure.\

either way I have an extendd warranty, when i get it fixed I will post what they did.

Comment

I have similar problem, the lower p/s hose leaks at normal operating temps. it sucks
              Heady Navy Blue Metalic<br />Heady Catback Flowmasters<br />Heady Bilstien HDs, PAnhard rod, LCAs,SFCs<br />NGK\'s and MSD Wires, K&N flowin + Smooth Bellow<br />Y87 3800 GT Performance.<br />I love the way this car makes turns!<br /><br />1989 black Camoaro RS. R.I.P.

Comment

It's normal for a GM vehicle, I have not heard of one GM vehicle that doesnt have a power steering problem one time or another, not saying everyones car has the problem, but many do, that goes for just about all cars in the GM line.

my step dads grand prix had a very leaky hose, he paid 300$ to have it fixed at the dealership LOL I offered to place the hose for free.

i had to pay for my pump to be replaced, since my jacks are f*cked and i had work the next day. The guy at the local corner shop charged me 100$ for the labor to replace the pump, and hoses. Not bad, they are a honest shop. I bought the pump for 65$ and hoses for $30 from checker.

[ May 18, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: BadAzzRS ]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X