security help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• security help

hi i 97 firebird v6 3800 "series II." Does any one have this problem. when the security lights is on and your car wont start.You have to wait till it turns off then your car will start. Can anyone tell me what causes that, and how to fix it. thanks

Re: security help

First thing I would look at is the resistor contacts in your ignition key. They are probably not making proper contact when the key is inserted in the ignition. Do you have a spare key that might not be as worn or dirty as your usual key?
    If you do, try that key instead and see what happens.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

I believe CDNFB hit it right on the head.

Page 2-17 of the '97 Camaro manual:

PASS-Key® II

Your vehicle is equippmed with the PASS-Key II (Personalized Automotive Security System) theft-deterrent system. PASS-Key II is a passive theft-deterrent system. It works when you insert or remove the key from the ignition.

PASS-Key II uses a resistor pellet in the ignition key that matches a decoder in your vehicle.

When PASS-Key II system senses that someone is using the wrong key, it shuts down the vehicle's starter and fuel systems. For about three minutes, the starter won't work and fuel won't go to the engine. If someone tries to start your vehicle again or uses another key during this time, the vehicle will not start. This discourages someone from randomly trying different keys with different resistor pellets in an attempt to make a match.

The ignition key must be clean and dry before it's inserted in the ignition or the engine may not start. If the engine does not start and the SECURITY light stays on when you try to start the vehicle, the key may be dirty or wet. Turn the ignition off.

Clean and dry the key. Wait about three minutes to try again. the SECURITY light may remain on during this time. If the starter still won't work, and the key appears to be clean and dry, wait about three minutes and try another ignition key. At this time, you may also want to check the fuses (see "Fuses and Circuit Breakers" in the Inxex). If the starter won't work with the other key, your vehicle nedds service. If your vehicle does start, the first ignition key may be faulty. See your Chevrolet/Pontiac dealer or a locksmith who can service the PASS-Key II.

Comment

i cleaned the key and its working fine. thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X