No announcement yet.

Random missfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes the dealers do have a scan tool to pin point problems.
    2000 FIREBIRD NBM<br />Thanks to:<br />TSP, ZZP, TCI, Comp Cam, Whisper, GM, Lakewood, TrafficJamz Car Audio,HP Tuner, Alterstart, texas drivetrain and performance, BMR<br /><br />1990 BLUE CAMARO RS<br />1980 z28 <br /><br />venom-vi vice president

Comment

I had this problem recently. Garage said it was random misfire and they said i need plugs AND wires and wanted over $300 (wow!) but they said i could do only 1 plugs OR wires and see if one of them solves it...so I chose plugs and i chose wrong because it still misfired...so then they did the wires too and now it is fine again.

But that was not a dealership....and $300??????? Oh, and for that price i got AC-Delco plugs and Carquest wires :(

Oh by the way, I had the SES light along with the misfire but at times the light would flash and then go solid. What does it mean when the light flashed????

Comment

I have a similar problem. I just replaced a coil pack at the dealer after some continous stuttering. The problem was fixed for about 3000 miles but it came back. Dealership wanted to replace the wires (they said the wires were too long and melting against the exhaust manifold) and also replace the o2 sensor ( which could have melted with all the unburned hot fuel getting through). Anyway, make a long story short the dealer wanted over $500 to replace just the wires and o2 sensor. I said no thanks and am going to take it in the morning to an independent shop. It's still going to cost some money but not what the dealer wanted. ARGHH! :mad:

Comment

IF it is the crankshaft sensor, it's located behind the flywheel. It costs $35. It will take you about 8 hrs to replace if you aren't set. A Tech2 Scan Tool will tell you if this is the problem.

Tools Needed:
          1) BIG 'OL Breaker Bar & torque wrench (I believe that the crankshaft bolt is torqued to something like 110ft/lbs + 95 degrees - don't quote me on that)
          2) Prybars
          3) Harmonic balancer puller
          4) Misc sockets

My procedure (for a 98 Auto):
          Because my car is an Auto, I have to remove some extra shields in order to get a prybar into the flywheel. A Manual should have an opening on the bottom of the tranny for this.
          1) Remove heat shields around starter
          2) Remove starter
          3) There's 2 shields at the front of the bellhousing. You're supposed to drop the exhaust to take off the shield, but I loosened the bolds on them and wedged the prybar in the gap to stop the flywheel.
          4) Remove crankshaft bolt (you need 2 people - one to hold prybar, other to use breakerbar). I used a copper pipe placed over the breakerbar (you probably want a steel pipe).
          5) Use harmonic balancer puller to remove harmonic balancer! DO NOT TAKE OFF BY HAND You do and you'll be really screwed.
          6) Remove watershield to access sensor
          7) Remove/replace sensor.
          <a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six</a> <br /><b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/c_o_jones\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain</a></b><br />--This doesn\'t change the fact that I am ~The Guru~ who still kicks puppies...

Comment

oktook a few days off the car to rest and just get away from it i finally got the transmission mount to go in but my car still shakes its find in park but when you put it in drive it shakes really bad but then if you give it gas it goes away imp pretty sure its not the tranny mount or the engine mount so im not sure what this might be
            2nd i got it up to 60 on the road and the ses light stayed constant than got it below 25 and it started blinkinh again so stump yet again im taking it to a firend shop tomm to see what he can find if you have any ideas let me know later
            1999 Firebird 3.8 Chamelon<br /><br />MagnaFlow Catback<br /><br />Devon

Comment

well the shop was closed today so im going try to get it tomm but i drove it a little today and it was kind of better still shake as hell though the lopeing has kind of went away though so that good

Comment

well i got the bright idea today to take out my cam sensor and see hwo the car ran and it ran so much quiter no lope anymore and sounded normal but was still missing so i was like ok well heres a start well i go to turn the car off and i hear the belt tighen and the car die i was like wtf the damn sensor got tied in the belt but i was able to un tangle it and check the wires and none were torn but know the thing doesnt start wtf did i do i feel like [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] myslef the car tunrs over but want fire now im really scared

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X