3.8 Series II in an '86 S10 4x4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 Series II in an '86 S10 4x4?

Does anyone know how a 3.8 series II would work in an '86 S10 4x4 that had a 2.8? I think the bell housing would bolt up, right? Obviously there would be wiring issues. I would want to use the 3.8 computer and harness. Do 3.8's have before cat and after cat O2 sensors? Should I avoid certain 3.8 years?

Thanks if you can help
    Brian
    Brian<br />Pollock Pines, CA<br />Near Sacramento

It has been done, but my link to it is old. looking for current one.

edit: here ya go http://www.gmv6.org/swap1.html
    1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
    94 comero 3.4

Comment

Thanks for the link. I can't tell for sure but that looks like a 2wd. I also could not find a write up.

Comment

avoid the 95 yr if you have to. they have their own specific wiring, the later yrs were more standardized. 95 also had 2 o2 sensors before & after cats.
        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...=001029#000003

Josh R. I have a 95 4x4 Blazer, and it's tranny looks just liek the f-bodies, except teh transfer case at the end of the body instead of tail piece.
          2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Isn't there a member on this site who has a 3.8 in his S10? I don't remember if it was 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive, but I'm sure he'd be a great deal of help if you attempt this kind of swap.
            ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

I am the member with the 2WD 3800 S10. Josh R. is my brother if that caused any confusion.

I have still not found another person who has completed this swap. Its not easy, it requires lots of fabrication. For my 2WD model, I had to cut and weld the oil pan to make it fit over the crossmember. Im not sure what would need to be changed for a 4wd drive model. You also have to make your own headers as fbody manifolds would be inside the frame.

Yes, the 2.8 bellhousing will bolt to a 3800. The 3800 starter is on the driver side, im not sure where a 2.8s is.

Post or email me any questions you have. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              92 S10 3800 A4(96)<br />1/4: 14.374 @ 92.25 w/ 1.976 60\'<br />Turbo and 12\'s Coming Soon!

Comment

2.8~3.4 starter is on pass side

and RedFrk13, you needto put your screen name somewherre on that site
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

That driver's side starter presents a huge problem. I looked at putting a FWD 3.8 into the S10 but the starter sits right where the dif is. I guess there are no passenger side mounting holes for the starter in the block by any chance?

RedFrk13,

Do your custom headers wrap out around the stearing shaft like some of the 350 swap S10 headers?

What I am actually doing is using a S10 front frame clip under a Volvo 240 wagon to make it 4x4. I think I will have a bit more firewall clearance than with an S10.

That starter issue might be the deciding factor to go with an LT1 or TPI.

Comment

BTW, here is a link to a similar vehicle I built. A 4x4 MB wagon. http://www.ultimatesubaru.net/forum/...ighlight=300td

Comment

Originally posted by 914turboford:
                      That driver's side starter presents a huge problem. I looked at putting a FWD 3.8 into the S10 but the starter sits right where the dif is. I guess there are no passenger side mounting holes for the starter in the block by any chance?

RedFrk13,

Do your custom headers wrap out around the stearing shaft like some of the 350 swap S10 headers?

What I am actually doing is using a S10 front frame clip under a Volvo 240 wagon to make it 4x4. I think I will have a bit more firewall clearance than with an S10.

That starter issue might be the deciding factor to go with an LT1 or TPI.
                      My headers do not wrap around the steering shaft, their was enough room to fit them going straight down. Now my future turbo headers might be going around the steering shaft. ;)

All 3800 have the starter on the driver side, so I think your outta luck their.

Sounds like an interesting project. My next project is going to be a supercharged GTP 3800 in a CJ5/7. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      92 S10 3800 A4(96)<br />1/4: 14.374 @ 92.25 w/ 1.976 60\'<br />Turbo and 12\'s Coming Soon!

Comment

Sounds like an interesting project. My next project is going to be a supercharged GTP 3800 in a CJ5/7.
                        I know of a L67 Amigo swap going on
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

What transmission/TC is being used in the Amigo? What setup do you plan to use for the CJ? Do you think there is a reasonably doable way to mount the starter on the passenger side of a 3.8?

Comment

Originally posted by 914turboford:
                            What transmission/TC is being used in the Amigo? What setup do you plan to use for the CJ? Do you think there is a reasonably doable way to mount the starter on the passenger side of a 3.8?
                            Heres a link to the amigo guy, hes crazy. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            http://www.l67swap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1320

I dont all the details of my next swap. I dont even have my own jeep yet. Probably a L67 bolted to an s10 2.8 700r4 tranny with a dana 300 tcase adapted to that. Now that I know 2.8s have the starter on the pass side, that could cause a problem for me too. Im not sure what the lower cover to the bellhousing is called, but I might be able to get one from a camaro 3800 4l60e and bolt that to the 700r4 and that would solve that problem, if their is diff cleareance for the starter.

I really dont know what would be involved in changing the starter to the pass side. Maybe just having some new holes drilled in the block.

Comment

Redfrk13,

Have you gotten a chance to measure your fuel economy in your 3.8 s10?

Brian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X