front o2 sensors-open or closed end wrench? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

front o2 sensors-open or closed end wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front o2 sensors-open or closed end wrench?

I need some tips on getting the front o2 sensors off, they seem to be baked on pretty good. I got both the plugs off, just need the threaded part out now. I was trying to get the drivers side off from the top, is that how others have done it. and did you use an open or closed end wrench?
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Re: front o2 sensors-open or closed end wrench?

open ended
    but there is a special tool designed for it
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

hmmm, a special tool, where can i get it?
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

there is a deep socket with a slit taken out of one side for the wires to exit. it should be available at autozone, or any autoparts store.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

go from the bottom. its a pain in the *** from the top. the bottom is a little easier. you might want to find a cheater bar if they are on there real tight. when i did mine the passenger side was a PITA just because there isnt much room to work with. the cheater bar did the trick though.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

I just had to buy the socket last week because I couldn't get mine off. I got mine at Advance Auto for $11.00 and the guy told me to soak the hell out of the old O2 sensors with penitrating oil....I did just that and with a lot of force they finally busted loose and the new ones went in with no problem.

Comment

I hate the tool, it spreads too easily.

1. Get car up on jacks overnight
              2. Use a real penetrating oil (WD40 sucks, I like PB Blaster, Kroil also makes a good one) and let it soak overnight.
              3. I use a closed ended wrench when I can, otherwise a closed socket (I cut the harness to get the socket on)
              4. Cheater bar or hammer to break it loose. Sometimes knocking on the side of the sensor with a hammer can help break it loose.

Remember to put the new one on with some anti-seize. I know they usually come with a dab on there, but add some more if it's not enough.
              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

The tool I used didn't look like that, it was a crow's foot wrench, and it has the square for the socket driver a little offset which gives you a little more leverage. Found it at Autozone. Stuck a 18" pipe over the wrench and tugged away. If you already have the new plugs and you're sure the connectors match up, then follow zlexiss and cut the wires off, makes it a little easier.
                Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

It's a little black socket looking thing from autozone. It's like 10 with tax. It's worth every penny because taking off O2's sucks.
                  99 WS6
                  13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
                  tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X