Car dies when starting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car dies when starting...

Basically I turn the ignition switch and it goes to 1k rpm for 1 sec then engine stutters and it dies. I tried to start the car again same thing rpm meter kicked to 1k then stuttered and died. It took a 3rd try to get it started. Anybody know what could be going on with my car? It's a 98 3.8 25.5k miles.

Possibly a fuel pump, are you getting an SES light? Have you changed your fuel filter yet? If not, try that first.
    Another thing to check is to turn the key to run, and listen for the fuel pump. The PCM is supposed to command the pump to run for 2 seconds when the ignition is put in run, to build up pressure. If it's not running before you turn it on, but the car will eventually run normally, it may be a PCM problem.
    Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

I am not geting a SES light and I never thought of changing the fuel filter, but I might do that now. When I turn the key to run I hear a slight zzzzz type sound and it stops then I start my car. I usually let that sound run all the way through before turning the car on. Thanks for your help [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I believe the zzzz sound is the sound of your fuel pump working. I read somewhere in here about others that had the same sort of problem. I also had it for awhile, but it went away (thank God). Check the archives, you should find something that may help. When you find the problem, post it.

Good Luck,
        Marc
        sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X