oil/temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil/temp

driving, my engine temp is around 170 ish and oil pressure is a lil above 60 but sitting at idle the oil pressure drops and temp increases and has gotten over the halfway mark which is not cool with me. could this be the oil pump going out or what could be causing this? thanks in advance

Re: oil/temp

sounds normal to me
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

welcome to the world of f-bodies, normal

Comment

ya'll sure. cause after my engine is at operating temperatures when im driving then put it in neutral the rpm as it falls back to idle it goes a little below 1000 then pops back up to 1000 which is where it normally idles. when it drops for that second so does the oil gauge meter but rises back up w/ the rpm too. you can hear it in the exhaust too. its wierd. any ideas?

Comment

thats how its ment to be mine does the same. my sbc in my 86 at start up is about 60psi if not higher then at cruise warm its about 45-50 then at idle warm its at about 20-30psi but as soon as i get on it its about 55-60 psi. gm usually has a fluctuating oil psi from what ive always seen and known. the lil work truck we have at work is a GMC Sanoma 4cyl 5sp and at start up and warm WOT oil psi is about 80psi and idle is about 30 and cruise is about 50-60 and it has about 160k on it

Comment

alright that makes me feel a little better. anything i can replace though just to get rid of it, little stuff tends to bother me

Comment

Originally posted by av6xperience
              ya'll sure. cause after my engine is at operating temperatures when im driving then put it in neutral the rpm as it falls back to idle it goes a little below 1000 then pops back up to 1000 which is where it normally idles. when it drops for that second so does the oil gauge meter but rises back up w/ the rpm too. you can hear it in the exhaust too. its wierd. any ideas?
              mine (when it was working) could idle as low as 750- 800rpms.
              Thats a good thing
              Oil pressure goes down due to the engine getting hotter because heat thins oil
              If you want you can get higher heat rated oil, but its not necessary

Originally posted by av6xperience
              alright that makes me feel a little better. anything i can replace though just to get rid of it, little stuff tends to bother me
              yes, several companies make the higher oil pressure kit
              If you race alot, sure its a good idea to get it
              2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

some times TOO much presure can be ad too. a high volume pump will suck the pan dry at high RPM but high pressure can just be somuch that the oil is pushed y the bearings so fast that it almost does nothing. when i built my motor i used a stock replacement pump and i will for when i build the 383 since it does neither but i may add an oil cooler. you could also do that it will lower oil temps and give higher oil psi readings!

Comment

well see i have the valvoline synthetic oil in and it drops to around 800 rpm only for a split second then goes back up to the usual 1000 but of course the oil pressure does this little drop at the same time. i guess its normal on out cars if others have the same problem but i just thought it was kinda wierd. thanks again

Comment

i dont know... 1000 idle is really high. mine idles (albeit a little rough) at 700 steady. yeah, your oil pressures gonna drop. thats normal. yeah, its hot as hell out, so you're gonna get high temps too. but i dont know about an idle that high...
                    but yeah, wehn you're slowin down your rpm's WILL do a little dance like that. thats normal, its just if the rpm's are jumpin around while your staying stopped, thats how you know somethings off.
                    2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

I'm with Camaro Dom on this one.

My idle RPM is steady at 700.

My oil pressure:
                      - when cold shows slightly higher than 60 psi on the gauge (regardless of rpm)
                      - when hot, drops to slightly lower than 60 psi at idle and back to slighly higher than 60 psi at RPM higher than idle.

I use Moble 1 10W30.
                      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Excessive high idle speed:
                        1) sticking throttle linkage
                        2) idle speed incorrect

Comment

alright, thanks ya'll

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X