Possible EGR problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible EGR problem

Hey all, my little brother has a 95 V6 camaro and he's having trouble. I'll try to include as much info as possible here, sorry if it makes for a long read but I moderate another message board and I hate it when people don't provide enough info.

A while back, the car through a Service Engine Soon light. They took it to a dealership, who told them there was something wrong with the EGR system. They wanted $100 or so to fix it, but my stepfather decided to just take it to a friend's shop. That shop cleaned out the EGR valve and the light went away. Well, a while later, it came back. They did the same thing and just had the shop clean out the valve... but the light didn't go away this time.

The light usually comes on shortly after the car has been running for a while, after a few quick accelerations and stops. It doesn't go away until the car is turned off. That's about all I know.

Now, any suggestions? The car has about 144K miles on it, so I'm not sure if an engine cleaner might help. I've heard sea foam can work nicely, but I think I've also heard some horror stories... is it any good?

All ideas are appreciated. Thanks again.

Re: Possible EGR problem

i hear more good things with seafoam than bad but iv'e personally never used it. if it was me i would just pay the 100$ and have the problem fixed although i think you can replace the whole thing yourself and its not extremely difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by av6xperience
      i hear more good things with seafoam than bad but iv'e personally never used it. if it was me i would just pay the 100$ and have the problem fixed although i think you can replace the whole thing yourself and its not extremely difficult.
      Yeah, I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if I should jump straight to a replacement... especially since I'm not positive that it was the EGR valve that they were going to replace.

Comment

yep, gots to be careful with shops trying to rip you off by "temporarily" fixing the problem for more money although if its a dealership they might not be lying. when was the last tune-up done?

Comment

on my 3.4. when the the egr went bad, the ses light always came on after i started it up and drove around. i was fine until i was coming to a stop. it always threw the code when the car was slowing down. i had it scanned and it was the egr. i never replaced mine becuase i wound up getting rid of it soon after.

just replace it or just delete it with some block off plates. its nothing really important that you need anyways.(unless youre in a state that requires emissions checks) do a search on egr deletes or egr block off plates and you wont have to worry about that piece of crap.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

ya im actually waiting for a plate to come in the mail so i can block mine off on the exhaust manifold then throw a filter on the hose part and undo it all when it comes time for inspection

Comment

Yeah, deleting it really isn't an option. I'm only in town for another 24 hours, and my folks/brother have no clue what they're doing under a hood.

Any idea on where to get a cheap replacement EGR valve?

BTW... I was wrong with the price quote the dealership gave for fixing the problem... by the time they were done, it was going to be close to $1000. :(

Comment

autozone or any parts store should have it.

and OMFG its just a valve and a tube. there is no way in hell id pay that much to get it fixed.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

holy hell thats crazy. maybe oreilly, autozone? do a search on how to replace it

Comment

he beat me to it......

Comment

Egr valves are retarded. think about it, your putting exhaust into your fresh air suppy. your intake is getting much hotter and dirty....hmmmm...i dont think so, just delete it, and it will delete all your problems. I would never put mine back on.
                      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                        Good to see the site is back up
                        by 2.8 Bird
                        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                        3 days ago
                      • FirebirdGT
                        New Site Hosting Issues
                        by FirebirdGT
                        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                        2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X