SES Light On!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Light On!

A few days ago my SES Light came on, GAY (93 Firebird). Normally, I wouldnt think too much of it (drove 2 cars that had this light on for over 50k), but the car acts funny right before or when it comes on.

When it happens, i'll be cruising along nicely at 60 mph, right before it comes on, the RPMs will take a noticable hike and come right back down. I'd say about 300 RPMs. The light will stay on for about 10 seconds then go off. Over the course of about a 30 minute trip, it will do this about 4 times.

Yesterday, I was driving on an EXTREMELY Bumpy dirt road for about 5 or 6 miles going about 15 mph and the light was basically on for the entire time. As soon as I got off the bumpy road, it went off and did not come back for the remaining 5 minutes of my trip.

Besides the RPM fluctuation, the car idles fine, seems to run as strong as normal. The only thing that has changed in the last week is that I flush the radiator and added some A/C refrigerant. Car has fresh plugs, new K&N FIPK, high flo cat and exhaust was put on last year. I'd get it scanned, but someone told me they can only pull the code when the light is on in my car. One of the main reasons Im worried is cause I have to take this car on a 400 mile trip tomorrow, hopefully it will make it.

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks
    Last edited by SMAKCruiser; 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM.

Re: SES Light On!

get it scanned

Comment

go to autozone
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Its a 93 doesnt Autozone only do OBDII?

Comment

im pretty sure autozone only lends out obd2's. maybe try buying a cheap OBDI scanner. i got a cheap obd2 scanner that i carry in my console.

Comment

did your car make your long trip?
            my 94 has a similiar issue. my SES light will briefly light up when going over 60 mph on the highways. comes up and shuts off but doesnt always do it. i have been having an idle issue again like i did back in march and i changed the IAC and havent had an issue again until last week. normal rpms is around 900. lately, i get 1400 rpms at idle, sometimes it will drop back by itself, but i have been disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer. once i do this, the car will idle normal again for a while. my rpms dont change on its own when driving, only at idle. i might change out the IAC again, however i remember from this forum earlier in the year that i could be dealing with a defective EGR instead of the IAC. or perhaps within the computer (PCM) module itself. i have had the car since february and its always had the momentary on/off of the SES light, however my car passed smog and the light never came on during the test, an automatic fail.

are you sure your car always idles normal around 850-900rpms?

Comment

Yes I am sure it idles normal at 850-900. I did not bring it on the trip. I have more than one car, so I just drove something else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                4 hours ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X