misfire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misfire

i changed my spark plugs and wires two months ago and it was working fine two months, but now it is misfiring again. Ummm, what should I do? Should I take em out and put them back in? Should I check to see if the boots are on there good and tight? I gapped them correctly, I made sure everything was good and tight and it was for two months. Has this happened to anyone here before?
    2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

No, we never get misfires.... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

pull the plugs and check their condition. then check if they are even firing. have you gotten any codes?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

might check the wires first before bothering disconnecting everything, possibly just meltd thru somewhere. Then check all else.
      97 RS<br />Member Status: F-Body Owner<br />Member Number: 7705<br />Registered: September 13, 2005<br />Posts: 24<br />Email Address: hfoxx123@yahoo.com<br />Location: Minnesota<br />Occupation: Database Administration<br />Homepage: <a href=\"http://none\" target=\"_blank\">http://none</a><br />Car: uh a camaro

Comment

no codes, and the wires were brand new two months ago.

And I forgot... how do you check to see if they are firing? Do I have someone crank it while I hold the plug by the boot and check for an arc?
        2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Comment

Stick your finger in the boots and have someone crank it. :D
          1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

just cause they arw 2 months old doesnt mean they cant be damaged by heat or just a defect.

you test it with a plug wire tester. its just a little tool that has a plug on it and you attach the the wire to that and clip it down. crank it and look for spark. never hold it cause you'll get shocked.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

You can lift the car & spray water on the plug end of the wires ,this is what I did to find a bad wire that arced.This is what it sounds like 2 me.I had less than 1 year old MSD's & no.6 was bad.A real good scanner will find an intermitantant missfire too.I'm not talking about just an Autozone type code reader but one that does real time diagnosics,like a Snap-on,or OTC,& a higher priced AutoX Ray unit.
              geocor

Comment

This morning I wiggled the plugs in really well and pushed down really hard on the wires. No misfires from my girlfriend's house to my house, but I expect them again. It usually doesn't happen unless I am giving it a lot of gas- then it starts misfiring. So what does it mean if my misfire isn't constant? It must mean I suck at changing my spark plug or something.

Comment

Ive seen this twice before with 3.8 f-bodys. First was water dripping down from cowl corroding the terminals from the ICM to the coil. Second was just simply a bad coil that had too much resistance in the primary and couldnt produce enough energy to jump the plug gap under large loads which require more spark energy. Both would only miss if you brake torqued them to about 1500 rpm's. So I would check for corroded terminals. Or it could simply be a bad coil pack.
                  1995 Arctic White Camaro. 3.4L/A4<br /><br />\"Stupid men make mistakes, wise men learn from mistakes\"

Comment

Originally posted by Marty85:
                    Ive seen this twice before with 3.8 f-bodys. First was water dripping down from cowl corroding the terminals from the ICM to the coil. Second was just simply a bad coil that had too much resistance in the primary and couldnt produce enough energy to jump the plug gap under large loads which require more spark energy. Both would only miss if you brake torqued them to about 1500 rpm's. So I would check for corroded terminals. Or it could simply be a bad coil pack.
                    That sounds very accurate. If the rpms get past like 2K it starts to misfire. If I drive it like a normal person it works fine. Since I am almost positive i gapped them correctly and inserted them right, you are saying it is most likely the terminals? So I should go buy a wire brush and check those first?

Comment

I just brushed off the terminals pretty good and it is still misfiring. About how much would a new coil pack run me? I appreciate all the help y'all.

Comment

I bet you need to get a new Coil pack. This is pretty typical of the 3800. Souldn't cost you a whole heck of alot, but it wont be below $120 installed.

Comment

You guys are awesome. New coil packs fixed my problem. I hope you all are aware of how much money you save people. If you are ever in Clemson, I'll buy you a beer. [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X