need opinions.. new idea on gas mileage problem - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need opinions.. new idea on gas mileage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need opinions.. new idea on gas mileage problem

This was my post about the sudden mpg problem:

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=70308

But I have another interesting idea. When I accelerate, I hear this very high-pitched whistling sound. I had a K&N fipk installed about 3 or 4 months ago, so I assumed the sound was from the intake.

BUT

is it possible I may have a vacuum leak?? Wouldn't that wreck mpg??

I'm too poor to take it into a shop and have it get looked at.

help....

Re: need opinions.. new idea on gas mileage problem

A vacuum leak would not cause poor MPG.

It would cause a higher than normal idle and would cause a lean condition at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). At any other throttle setting between idle and WOT the PCM would see this as just more air to add fuel to.

So ultimately, to produce a given power output it would take less throttle if you had a vacuum leak and more throttle setting if you didn't have a vacuum leak.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
      Good to see the site is back up
      by 2.8 Bird
      So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
      4 hours ago
    • FirebirdGT
      New Site Hosting Issues
      by FirebirdGT
      All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
      1 week ago
    • LETZRIDE
      New Owner!
      by LETZRIDE
      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X