Hesitation .......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesitation .......

I bought my '97 firebird 2 years ago and it had 53,000 miles on it, and in nearly perfect condition. However, ever since i've had it i notice that it sporatically sputters when i give some gas. The problem wasnt so bad but over the past two years it's gotten terrible. Now i'll leave for work in the morning and i'll drive a quarter mile and it's already acting up again. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this annoying sputtering problem???

first take it to auto zone and see if there are any codes in the PCM

but right off hand im leaning toward you TPS (throttle postion senor. )
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Since it takes a bit for it to start acting up maybe an o2 sensor.

Comment

i had a similar problem. like viper said take it to autozone and if you get a code that says "#" cylinder is misfiring then its probably your coils.
        help me build the ultimate sleeper soon ill have a lot more mods than i can list and watch out for the spikes. 02 firebird

Comment

had the same prob.. it was a coil and a fuel injector. Give yourself a tune up and go from there
          ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

and when you buy coils dont buy them from autozone for 37$. spend the 47$ to get msds. its just that simple.
            help me build the ultimate sleeper soon ill have a lot more mods than i can list and watch out for the spikes. 02 firebird

Comment

I had a similar problem on my old '93. It happened to be a broken spark plug wire (it was cut right where the "Made in America" label was - ironic, isn't it?). Anyway, check the wires and see if they are cut in wany way or look damaged.
              - Mike<br /><br />Pewter 2001 Pontiac Firebird<br />Bone stock<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/nighteye</a>

Comment

Thanks for all of the input fellas, also one quick thing...about a year ago i put flowmasters on my car, however i didnt replace the cat...whenever i rev up past 4500 rpms, i get a terrible popping sound, could that be from not having a high flow cat??? or is it something else?

Comment

headers and higflow cat will take care of most of that popping
                  www.turbov6camaro.com
                  1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                  4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                  7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                  11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Agree with most said here ,& like I had said in an other post check the simple stuff first,ie.when were plugs ,wires ,ff, changed? Is there en ses light on ?Like viper said could be a TPS.One very neglected problem that could cause some minor hesitation,is a very simple fix.Most owners here probably never have taken off the throttle body/MAF unit.It got very FILTHY on my Camaro after only 30K or so.& I treated my car like royalty,reg. use of inj. cleaners like Techron & the works.A badly carboned up TB can cause a myriad of problems.If you give us feedback on some of the questions asked we could come closer to pinpointing the problem.

BTW bad poping could be a burnt valve or v.spring,bad timing chain,lets hope not.

[ May 21, 2004, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: geocor ]
                    geocor

Comment

tb... the ribbed plastic piece?
                      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

No, the unit beyond the plastic piece with wires and sensors plugged in to it (it's made of cast iron).
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/kefkafloyd</a> <br />Red 1997 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L A4 w/ Y87

Comment

ah.. so taking off the ribbed plastic piece and the sensors and cleaning that out you say? hm, gonna have to try that!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X