loud noise...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loud noise...?

when i start driving my car makes a noise in the back and when i go faster it keeps getting louder and louder.... also while cruising you can still here the noise.... i thought it was just my tires but i took a ride in my friends camaro and its way way quiter then mine....

any suggestion...its not an exhaust leak its more like a rubbing kinda noise

Re: loud noise...?

Mine does that too. I've been wondering what it is. I am going to repack my wheel bearings to see if that stops.

Comment

how do u do that?...one of my friends thought it was that also

Comment

You can not repack them. You have to replace them, and i doubt thats where your noise is comming from. If its comming from the rear, have the rear end looked at.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Is this noise like a honing noise? Does it seem like it's in the right rear of the car?

Comment

yes!!! do you know what it is?

Comment

my car does the same damn thing. my brakes are fine and so are my bearings. i'm starting to think it's just a normal rearend noise.

Comment

My car has the same noise in the rear.... I always though it was off to the right also. It gets kinda louder, until I get to 70mph, and then it seems to go away. LOL But it can be heard from 1mph to 70 I am thinking I am pulling the diffy out and going to replace it with a powertrax and check the gears while I am at it and have it open. Maybe replace the bearings in the shafts while the C-clips are out. =/ I just think its going to be a long project, and for my daily driver, I think I am going to start it on a Thurs. before a Friday off! Just in case it takes a little while. When I get to doing this, I will have to let you know if it clears it up.
                Its not going to be for a few weeks though, since I still need to put the stuff on order.
                2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

i think its just gear whine, not nessicairly bad, mine does that and my gears are just fine, i wouldnt worry unless its REAL BAD

Comment

Well guys I have a noise in the Rear as well,mine is the Rear diff,but I am rebuilding mine and installing a Clutchless Diff,so I would not have to search for Limited Slip Oil,and maintainance to the clutches.
                    For you all to find out what it really is drive the car on a smooth road with the noise happening then suddenly shift into neutral and allow the vehicle to course,if the noise go away,it is the Pinion Bearing.
                    Secondly if driving on a smooth road that have little our no traffic at the speed you hear the noise,swerve from left to right not too sharp,like how Formula 1 or Nascar warm up there tires if the noise go away from the side or either side then it will be your Wheel Bearings,the faulty bearing will be on the side the load is on the wheel.

Comment

Well, it doesn't vary in pitch or tone when I swerve side to side. The garage I took it too for him to "diagnose" whith listening, he said it was def. not the bearings. I have done the neut. coast thing, and the noise continues, as long as the wheels are in motion. It did get a LITTLE better when I changed out the diffy fluid, but I did the syphon <sp?> technique, but I didn't seeing anything in the oil. But I have another qt. of the oil so I plan on cracking it open, when this rain stops here in PA. and seeing if anything looks bad. I kinda would just like to have new gears, bearings, and Powertrax in hand when I do it. Just so I don't have to pop it open again in a few weeks, since this is my daily, and I would need it. I have new rotors and pads for the rear for when I do pull them off, just cause of a minor pulsing during breaking, and the front was just done a few months ago. Anyways..... It will give me some experience on something new.... LOL
                      2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

Mine almost sounds like the brake pad constantly touching the rotor. so it sounds like when the wheel is spinning, every time it gets around to that certain spot, it makes a very mild rubbing noise. but this isn't the case as ive been told numerous shops. it's driving me nuts!

Comment

but uh sean, let me know if it does clear up when you do all that work.

Comment

I noticed a loud noise coming from the back seat of my car the other day. When I speed up it got louder. When I took a turn fast, it got louder. Finally I found out what it was.

I forgot my mother-in-law. She had been in the back seat for 4 hours. :)
                            Dr Todd

Comment

Booooo!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X