What does a Cam do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a Cam do?

Read the subject. I am a retard, literally I want to know what does a CAM do, and how much would it cost to put one in a 97 m5 3.8 camaro?

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: naptown ]

[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: naptown ]</p>

[img]graemlins/toto.gif[/img]

i see this thread being moved to something like general tech

here is sime info for all you M5 guys

YOU CAN NOT PUT A TORQUE CONVERTER IN YOUR CAR

Comment

I dont want to put one in my car.

Comment

a CAM operates your valves making them open and closed

when intake valve is open air comes in
        when exasght valve is open exhast leaves the combustion chamber

Comment

go to the drivetrain section (where this thread should be) look at andre@edge his post he made on conveters read that

converter for installwould cost 400-900 for the conveter and 200 for someone else to install it

Comment

naptown, check out www.howstuffworks.com and check their article on torque converters. They explain it much better than I can and they also have some neat diagrams to help.
            David

edit: sig

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: David Blalock ]</p>
            1995 Nissan Hardbody King cab XE, 5-speed, 4 banger<p>Looking for the right Camaro...

Comment

[ February 23, 2003: Message edited by: Jason Morgan ]</p>

Comment

I think he was asking the cost of the cam install.
                Matt<br />2000 Firebird<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/index.php?\" target=\"_blank\">FullThrottleV6.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                  I think he was asking the cost of the cam install.<hr></blockquote>

You are correct.

Comment

I can at least tell you a cam install will be quite pricey.

They gotta lift out the motor to be able to fit the cam in there. Lots of work right there :\
                    2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strobhen:
                        I can at least tell you a cam install will be quite pricey.

They gotta lift out the motor to be able to fit the cam in there. Lots of work right there :\
                        <hr></blockquote>

I might be wrong. But you don't have to lift the engine right? You could just remove some accessories and the install can be done.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by naptown:
                          what does a CAM do<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by HAZ-Matt:
                          I think he was asking the cost of the cam install.<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by naptown:
                          You are correct.<hr></blockquote>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mighty Thor:

I might be wrong. But you don't have to lift the engine right? You could just remove some accessories and the install can be done.
                            <hr></blockquote>

Think of it like this

A cam is almost as long as the engine and you have to put it in through a hole in the front I believe.

you would need to take out the radiators to do it without lifting the engine I believe.

Which for a person who wants to install a cam at home would be much, much easier. Maybe you could get lucky and get by with removing only the coolant radiator?

And Hawgs -- I agree, there is no coherancy in this post, I just took what he said his question was now and answered it. hehe
                            2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

actully naptown you know you ****ed up your first post you went back and reworded it after i posted

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X