Got my first car, I need some help on tune ups - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got my first car, I need some help on tune ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first car, I need some help on tune ups

I just bought a 97 Camaro RS, really clean, just a few small dings from stupid *** people hitting their car doors on it but thats it. It has 140k miles...yeah its alot : /

But anyways, im new to this tuning up thing. I know a bolt on the manifold is loose so it makes a rattle, but im going to take care of that.

heres some other issues i have:

-Sometimes in the morning when I turn on the car, turn, it sounds like the whole engine just rumbles and the windows vibrate a lil, but then after a few min of driving it stops.

-sometimes when i have the AC on it will release a small musty engine smell, but then it goes back to normal

Thats all the major issues i have, I was thinking about doing all this to it :

1.fuel filter cuz the gas gauge seems to be weird
    2.Air filter
    3.rebuilt or new engine, dont know whats best option yet
    4.maybe some K&N cool air intake?

anything else I should get or change? I want this baby to run smooth lol

thanks in advance!

1. fuel filter is a good idea although the gas gauge will always act weird (drops quickly after half tank) because the tanks in our cars are V shaped

2. Would be a good idea, but if you are getting a cold air intake (search in intake and exhaust forum... most people get either a K&N or SLP intake)

3. Probably not needed unless its running poorly or losing compression. The 3800 are pretty strong engines and plenty of people have broken 200k on them

4. see #2

Other: look into changing plugs, wires, and your fluids (tranny, rear end, oil)

I dont know what to tell you about the rumble at start up and the musty smell happens with older car's AC because they are turned off with the AC running and mold grows

[ July 24, 2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: HokieBird ]

Comment

Don't let the miles scare you, mine has 175k and its still running strong. People don't understand that American made cars can last as long - if not longer - than imports.
      <b><i>Don\'t Ever Judge Me</i></b><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/earnhardt132000\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Firebird Y87 3.8L V6 5spd</a><br />--No mods as of yet, shoot me some ideas if ya want.<br />178,000 miles and counting

Comment

Originally posted by Earnhardt132000:
        Don't let the miles scare you, mine has 175k and its still running strong. People don't understand that American made cars can last as long - if not longer - than imports.
        If you keep replacing Water Pumps , Fuel Pumps , Alternators and Transmissions... :D :D :D

Comment

Ic, thanks all.

So I was thinking of taking the ride in for

-air filter
          -fuel filter
          -tranny, rear ende fluid and oil
          -getting manifold nut tightened
          my car has a new alternator, but what kind of plugs and wires should i change?

Comment

You can do a Search (above) and enter 'spark plug' and any other ideas you may have for your '97 RS and find a wealth of info on here. I used AC-Delco Iridiums #41-101 and wire set #706X. Be sure to do them one at a time and lube the plug threads with Loctite Anti-Seize & you will need certain tools to make your 1st time plug & wire change easier. I used this website for my car and made a noticeable difference in power, check it out &gt; http://www.acdelco.com/html/catalog/
            Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X