Engine problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine problems

About 20k or so miles ago, I had a remanufactured 3.4 put in my Firebird. The original engine took in water and busted a rod. The car had some odd starter problems following this. On occasion, it would make a single clunking sound as I'd try to start it. Meaning, I'd turn the key and instead of hearing it turn over, I'd hear the starter hit the flywheel, then nothing else. Sometimes, I'd get a few turns, then it would stop. Other times, it would clunk, take a few minutes, then it would start ok or start slow. Eventually, that starter was replaced. The new starter has been on for over 3 months and only did that clunk on ignition once. It started after waiting a couple minutes. Yesterday, it happened and didn't recover. The car was parked Friday night after running fine, no noises, no smells, all gauges reading normal. The shop I brought it to said that they can turn the flywheel a little and then it gets stuck. They turn it the other way for a little and it gets stuck again. They think something is internally wrong with the engine. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas are appreciated.

Is the starter gear stuck in the flywheel? Sometimes the starter needs to be shimmed also. Ones that need shimmed have a tendency to hit the flywheel because there isn't enough gap for the starter gear to engage.

Ron
    I know - Camaro 67-02.. 2000 Camaro V6/A4 Black T-Tops<br />1969 Camaro 350/PG 12.69 @ 102.5 1966 Chevy II Wagon 283/PG Destined for NHRA stock eliminator.

Comment

The problem turning the flywheel is with the starter out. So that isn't a factor.

Comment

That happened to my old car when the motor went out. I don't know what exactly was wrong because I got rid of the car before the dealer tore it down. They said it looked like the piston melted.
        \" As being is to becoming, so is pure itellect to opinion, so is science to belief, and understanding to the peception of shadows.\" - Plato

Comment

My shop said it's a bent connecting rod. Leave it to GM to screw up a little 160 HP engine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X