Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke coming out of parking break.

ok 99 3.8 M5 88k

I was getting a missfire, replaced a coil pack and it fixed it for city driving for about 10 miles. Took it on the highway to drive back from my parents house to mine and after about 5 miles on the highway an interesting smells starts and the SES light comes back on. I was on the PA turnpike at this point so I had no recourse but to keep pushing through.

When I got back down to philly I parked and pulled up my parkingbreak, as I was gettin my stuff out of the car I saw that there was white smoke comming up from the break. I took apart the interior almost completely. Couldnt find anything.

Went to work today, nothing happened. Came home from work, it happened again. (both times it happened it was hot as balls out and the ttops were off, doubt that matters but... anyway.)

The smell wasnt that of the normal silicone burn off that can happen with a coil pack, it was slightly sweet and oily smelly but I really strongly doubt that it was anti-freeze or oil.

Any ideas?
    99 3.8 Camaro (M5) Y87

get under your car and look at your cat. if you had a misfire you might still have one and you are getting alot of raw fuel in your cat and it may be getting hot and burning off oil. This could cause a fire if you don't watch out. Now this is of course juat a theory but I'd get under your car and look for signs of burnt oil.
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Comment

dude that same crap happened to me... hot as hell, had a misfire, and was waitin in line at mcdonalds when it started... it is an interesting smell for sure... pulled over and looked under the car and could see smoke comin from somewhere on the drivers side... dont know where... when i got back home i didnt really mess with it... hasnt done it since and that was like a month ago... no clues to what it was either... and i just got around to fixin the misfire last week...
      disclaimer: \"warning.. this post may contain somewhat of a funny comment if read properly... take my comment out of context at your own discretion...\"

Comment

Could it be a pcv valve?
        99 3.8 Camaro (M5) Y87

Comment

Ok replaced the PCV, easy little job, hardest part was being out in the frreakin heat, I dont know how you guys down south mod your cars.

Now I drove around for a while afterwards, car ran much better, no smooke, I could smell the same smell but I figure that is the last of the oil burning off.

However, when I came home, after about 30 minutes and 15 miles of driving, various types, highway and stop and go, puttin her through her paces I look underneath, and the cat is RED hot... so it is getting fuel into it somewhere I assume... now does it mean that there is fuel in there now, or does it mean that it may have been in there before, weakened the cat and now it just will do that?

I figure I def have to get that replaced ASAP but do you think the PCV replacement and coil pack replacement is probably the cause of whatever condition weakened the cat in the first place?
          99 3.8 Camaro (M5) Y87

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X