V8 Crank pulley compatibility? Any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Crank pulley compatibility? Any?

Does anybody know of one that's compatible with our cars? Since we don't have any underdrive or lightened crank pulleys available for us, I wanna see what's available in the V8 market. Any help would be appreciated. Opinions are welcome, but my mind is already made up. I'm sold on lower rotating mass. :D
    <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Crank trigger is built onto the pulley of the 3.8L V6...i.e. the LS1 pulley would not work and the LT1 pulley definitely would not work. I contacted ASP about making a set of custom pullies for the 3.8L V6 and they are not interested in any way, shape or form due to the crank trigger on the pulley. Hope this helps.

By the way, lighten the rotating mass by reducing weight of the flywheel, not the crank pulley. The priciple is to change the diameter of the pulley, not lighten it. Just a little FYI.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: viper98885 ]</p>
    - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Yeah, I know about lightening vs underdriving (larger diameter). I figure lightening would be more compatible with everyone's cars vs underdriving. While the gains (miniscule as they are) would be less, every little bit helps. I'm hoping that I get the half a car length from my waterpump pulley. I've heard about lightening the flywheel, and that there's at least one company that will do it, but I've also heard of potential balance problems also. Thanks, for responding. :D
      <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

The only balancing problems would be from someone who does not have the correct equipment to do the work. We are a distributor for SPEC and I know that they lighten flywheels. We have never had a problem with them. As far as the underdrive pulley for the 3.8, I think you're **** out of luck.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: viper98885 ]</p>
        - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Thanks! :D

Comment

Overdrive underdrive pulleys for 3.8 maybe available from www.zzperformance.com

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: prdcp97v6 ]</p>
            97 RS, M5 Y87 (3.42rear, posi, a/c)<br />35mm/25mm solid swaybars, BMR moly STB, alum DS, adjustable panhard bar, GM ZR1 17X9.5 w/275/40 BFG KD\'s, 360lb front & 140/170 rear springs, Koni SA shocks, poly bushings all round. CAI K&H filter, 160 thermostat, Edelbrock cat back, rollbar, pair red competition seat & belts,red carpet & door pannels, redline lubricants all round.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by prdcp97v6:
              Overdrive underdrive pulleys for 3.8 maybe available from www.zzperformance.com

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: prdcp97v6 ]
              <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, prdcp97v6! I already bought the one for the waterpump.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X