hissing noise, then clunk clunk clunk - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hissing noise, then clunk clunk clunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hissing noise, then clunk clunk clunk

so here's how it went down...

with my radio off or at low volumes, i hear this winding up noise with increase in rpm's. after first gear, the whining stops, and the car just makes a hissing noise until the car is stopped.

also, at about 45, when in OD, and i accelerate ONLY in OD (meaning if it shifts down this won't happen), i will hear a "clunk clunk clunk" that is a pretty fast clunking, but not too quick.

the first place i guessed the noise to be coming from was obviously the gears, since it seemed to be in the back area of the car. well, i put some more gear oil in my housing, and the noise did not seem to go away, or even quiet down a little bit.

last night i was driving around, and turns out, the noise is coming from directly behind the front passenger seat, almost in the bucket area right behind it.

so now, i'm pretty sure this is not the gears, and also, gears don't hiss, and the noise doesn't increase with acceleration. also, the fact that the gears are turning at such high rpms means that they would (*should*) not make a slow clunk clunk sound at all.

the whining within first gear gets to me though. i first thought that it could be an exhaust leak, but why the hell would it only make a certain noise in first gear and not the same noise in other gears? exhaust leak would mean it should sound the same per rpm, regardless of the gear i am in.

i also thought maybe the driveshaft is warped...and the certain amount of resonance that the car makes at OD around ~45mph is causing the clunking, but then again, the car doesn't really shake, so i don't know what to think.

any suggestions? this is bugging me, but i am glad it isn't the gears, which was my original assumption. thx a lot!

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

i had a nasty "clunking sound" i have a yank converter and a wet shot. well i found out that stock u-joints can't handle that much torque so i went to napa and got a brute force u-joint. i installed the new u-joints and changed the gear oil and added LSD additive. the clunking is now gone and my gears are much smoother..

as far as the hissing goes i don't know. i have the same problem . sounds llike it's coming from the passanger side of the engine bay. i was thinking a exhaust leak, but i only hear the hissing when the car is underload and usually around the 3000 rpm area...

hope this info helped!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X