Blue smoke!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue smoke!!!!!

I have a 3.4L V6 firebird and i was wondering why everytime i start the car in the morning blue smoke comes out the exhaust its all stock... Just the other day it through a code that the "cat" was bad is that whats causing it?!?!? Or is it something else?

Re: Blue smoke!!!!!

it must be oil
    so leaky oil control piston ring (the bottom ones)
    or leaky valve
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

In some instances, having a little smoke only on start up can be normal operation.

Most likely not though. The two things slow6 is right on what it could be
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

a puff of blue smoke right at start up and not really noticable at any other time usually indicated leaking valve guide seals. if its not real bad, id leave it alone and check your oil level more frequently.
        Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

I would not worry about it too much. Monitor the oil level, if you are not losing oil quickly then I would just leave it alone.

Comment

Well Its not that bad but heres another thing and it barely happened too whenever i press on the throttle slightly i here this little ticking noise by the cylinder head drivers side but when i go WOT it seems to dissapear maybe because of the exhaust, huh?!?! anyways i already took the heads off just to check it out....I noticed that the rocker arms where lose on pistons number 6 & 4... i took some pics with my "chocolate" if i only knew how to post them up....
            Last edited by fbody; 10-10-2006, 12:19 AM.

Comment

That ticking noise could be noisy injector or valve train noise.
              Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

So maybe one of my injectors is bad??!?!?!?

Comment

this makes sense... burning oil.. especially something that seems like the valvetrain is causing the oil consumption.. prolly has some wear on the engine.. that light ticking noise sounds very much like a lifter... they are hydraulic and after a while, the internal seals start to leak and they do not hold internal oil pressure.

you fix this usually by replacing the bad lifter... not cheap, so usualy most people just deal with the ticking noise...
                  Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

Originally posted by camaroman1181
                    this makes sense... burning oil.. especially something that seems like the valvetrain is causing the oil consumption.. prolly has some wear on the engine.. that light ticking noise sounds very much like a lifter... they are hydraulic and after a while, the internal seals start to leak and they do not hold internal oil pressure.

you fix this usually by replacing the bad lifter... not cheap, so usualy most people just deal with the ticking noise...

how much are we talking about?

Comment

maybe try some ATF in your engine oil.. it has detergents that might clean it free from sticking
                      (if that is the problem)
                      which doesnt explain the blue smoke
                      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

itll run a few hundred bucks, if ya do it yourself. you have to take the upper and lower intake manifolds off, the vavle covers, take off the rocker, remove pushrods, then remove the lifters and put it all back together again.. its gonna take you some time to do it right... personally, id say ya just put up with the noise..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X