Troubleshooting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting Question

98 Camaro, 3.8 60K miles, A4 tranny... nothing really done to her yet.

She was sitting in storage for 6 months while I was on deployment, she's been active for a little over 3 weeks now (she started with barely acough after the 6 too [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] ) but don't know if thats relevant to this problem

My car seems to jolt when I'm cruising at low speeds (and about 20% throttle). If I speed up - it goes away; if I let off the acelerator - it goes away. I can't figure out where it's coming from. It feels like she can't make up her mind to shift, but the RPM's don't jolt with the car. I thought it might be a misfire, but I'm not throwing a light (and no RPM flux).

Any clue wha it may be?

Thanks !

:eek:
    Not a problem, just a challenge...

Sounds like it could be a misfire. I lost a wire completely and didn't even through a code. It only stuttered at about 20% throttle too. But it was fine at WOT. I would check your plugs and wires. But I have a manual, so I knew it wasn't a problem with the tranny shifting. The only problems I have when it doesn't shift right is when I miss a gear [img]redface.gif[/img] .

Edit: You did change her oil after she has sitting for so long didn't you ;) . I doubt it's relevent to this problem, but always good to do after a car has been sitting for long periods of time.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: camaro_speedemon ]</p>
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Yeah I changed the oil the first week back. If you don't count the six months I was gone and the car was inactive, thats like the 3rd time in a 10 month period that I've had a problem with the plugs (except the last threw lights) - and thats not supposed to be that way.

Usually 2-3 of my plugs are super corroded (sp?) and that was causing the misfires???

WHen I change the plugs/wires this time what else should I look for to perhaps keep me from changing everything again in another 3 months?

Thanks!
      Not a problem, just a challenge...

Comment

Sounds like a miss-fire to me too. If you have 2-3 spark plugs that are fouling out, it may be the cause of a wire that is arcing (arking...whatever). I'd replace all plugs and wires. Make sure when you run the new wires, don't let any of them rest on the intake manifold. Try and somehow keep them elevated from the intake. To route the wires to the plugs without touching anything that will get extremely hot is a tough task. I used Header Wrap to insulate my wires from touching anything. You can go to your nearest SpeedShop and buy it.

-Marc
        sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X