SES Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Light

My car is a hair under 55,000 miles. And all the sudden today, my car started running real rough and the Service Engine Soon light came on while driving to work. I also noticed that when ever I would accelerate it wouldn't respond like normal(a real lag as it it was towing a boat) and the light would blink, the rest of the time it would just stay on.

I live in central NY and it was pretty cold this morning, blowing snow and all, and my car wasn't driven for 2 consecutive days. I also filled up my gas tank (from E) on Friday. These may be factors in why it ran like *** .

But I'm thinking it may be 1) Bad Gas
    or
    2) Faulty Spark plug(s)

What do you guys think?

Thanks
    Red \'99 3.8<br />Induction: SLP Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, Whisper Lid<br />Ignition: Taylor Spiro-Pro Wires, Bosch Platinum 2 Plugs<br />Suspension: Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Mille Miglia MM11-2 18x9, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/40-18

2) Faulty spark plug or how about my option 3

Faulty Wires.

I would get an AutoTap to try and diagnose the SES light so you can find out which cylinder is misfiring. A flashing SES light almost ALWAYS means misfire.

Comment

Yeah, go to autozone and have them read the code for you. They do it for free. Blinking light always means misfire.

Youre close to 60K miles, its probably your wires...I think GM will replace them for free under like 70K miles because the original ones were found to be craptastic.

So get it read for free...go to GM and tell them whats up, they will read it and put new wires on for you...then get new plugs.

I wish my car would misfire so I can get new wires...but with 63K miles it still hasnt had one.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: *K*night Rider ]</p>
      <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/adamon6thstreet\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Firechicken</a><br /><b>15.19@91.61</b><br /><i>It Rocks Your Panties</i><p>Daily Driver: <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/pimpnon6thstreet\" target=\"_blank\">1990 Pontiac Trans Sport SE</a><br />Most recent mod: Mounted an Evan on the dashboard.

Comment

When mine did that at about 70K miles it was a coil pack. If it's not the plug or wire, it is probably that.

Comment

Happened to me before. Turned out to be a faulty spark plug wire. My guess its the same for you.
          E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

So what plugs and wires would you advise? And how much do you think they'll cost me?
            Red \'99 3.8<br />Induction: SLP Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, Whisper Lid<br />Ignition: Taylor Spiro-Pro Wires, Bosch Platinum 2 Plugs<br />Suspension: Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Mille Miglia MM11-2 18x9, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/40-18

Comment

well a good set of wires are the Taylor Spiro Pro.. you can get them from
              http://www.thunderracing.com for like 50 bucks.. btw thunder racing also happens to be a sponsor of the board.. :D

plugs.. I like the stock ac delco platinums, though they are quite pricey.. we also have some pretty loyal NGK fans on the board to..
              -Brad
              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
              :rock:

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *K*night Rider:
                I think GM will replace them for free under like 70K miles because the original ones were found to be craptastic.<hr></blockquote>

NOOOOOO!!! I WISH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I already tried that route.

Comment

Evan (Only4U) got free wires from GM. This was on a 1997 Camaro though...
                  <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/adamon6thstreet\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Firechicken</a><br /><b>15.19@91.61</b><br /><i>It Rocks Your Panties</i><p>Daily Driver: <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/pimpnon6thstreet\" target=\"_blank\">1990 Pontiac Trans Sport SE</a><br />Most recent mod: Mounted an Evan on the dashboard.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by *K*night Rider:
                    Evan (Only4U) got free wires from GM. This was on a 1997 Camaro though...<hr></blockquote>

yes that year and stuff had the recall for it. It's a defect for all 93-02 F-bodies, but GM "supposedly" fixed this in 98 I believe. Bast*rds wouldn't release me the car unless I paid them $400 for the F*&) Plug Wires and the faulty coil pack I had. :mad: :mad:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X