Truth about closed loop oporation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth about closed loop oporation

I have a 96 camaro. Stock thermostat temp is 195* for this year. I currently have a 180* thermostat in my car now. I wanted to go with the 160* thermostat but I wasn't sure if that would resist the computer into running in closed loop (optimal performance). I know only 00+ I beleive had problems with throwing codes (correct me on the year if im wrong), so throwing a code is not to my concern, but I am looking for an answer on what temp the computer runs in closed loop mode.

And i have a manual fan swicth as i presume some of you may ask. Thanks in advance.
    1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Re: Truth about closed loop oporation

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>From the GM Service Manual:
    To provide the best possible combination of driveability, fuel economy, and emission control, a closed loop air/fuel metering system is used. When the vehicle is first started, the PCM controls fuel delivery in open loop, ignoring the HO2S signals and calculating air/fuel ratio based on inputs from the engine coolant temperature, throttle position, and mass air flow sensors. The PCM will begin using the HO2S 1 signal for controlling fuel delivery (Closed Loop). when the following conditions have been met:

The HO2S output signal is varying, indicating that the sensor is hot enough to operate properly.
    The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor indicates coolant temperature above 40°C (104°F) with manual transmission vehicles or above 20°C(68°F) with automatic transmission vehicles.
    Time since start-up is at least 15 seconds for a warm engine or 90 seconds for a cold engine. <hr></blockquote>

This answers my question that closed loop begins at 104*. Therefore since a 160* thermostat will allow the engine to warm up past 104* and that it will also allow the exhaust temps to heat up the 02 sensors, a 160* thermostat is safe to use on my car.
    1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

Re: Truth about closed loop oporation

closed loop = 68*F on my 2002 camaro its a auto
      for sure, no thermo will make you run that cold
      unless you live up north and dont use a thermo :)
      2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X