oil and oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil and oil filter?

Hey everyone im still a big newbie and its almost time for my 1st oil change. I saw a post on here somewhere where someone was using mobile 1 oil and that they could tell a difference. So i was wondering if there is a difference in oil. So if anyone could help me out and tell me a good brand of oil and an oil filter i would be very appreciative. Tyler a.k.a. MAX
    2001 v-6 camaro K&N filter so far.

Hey man,

First oil change yessssssssssssss hahaha! From what I heard, using a synth. type of oil will aggrivate (sP?) leaks and gaskets on more higher mileage cars, but since yours is a 01 you should be alright. It is supposed to increase performance a little and be better on the ole engine, which is true to some degree. But the MOST important part about it is keeping your schedule on your oil changes. I usually do mine every 2500 miles, mobil 1 will not help you if you change at huge lengths. Good luck buddy!

p.s. I always use the k&n oil filter, feels safer, a little more expensive but hell you're already using sythn. oil lol. You can just excuse it because they come with a really nice bolt thingie coming out the top so you can get it off with ease! But since I have a higher milage car, I use the Valvoline Maxlife, which doesn't apply to yours.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: raxxus ]</p>
    RedLineVSix <br />95 Patriot Red Trans Am, M6, 3.42\'s,no rear tires<br />(SOLD!)97 Silver Camaro 3.8 Liter A4 3.42 + LSD, 1pc DS, and one messed up speedo :)

Comment

check my sig, I went to mobil 1 at 7800 miles and i had no leaks. i dont know if i could tell a difference though.
      2002 Black FireBird M5 2-5-02<br />Red BMR strut bar<br />Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with FastToys.com tips.<br />4 Coats of Zaino - Better every time<p>Need to post pictures? Do it <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>. its <b>easy</b> and <b>free</b>.<br />Change your own oil. <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/firebird/oil/\" target=\"_blank\">click here</a>.

Comment

Mobil 1 oil will not leak in your system, and shouldn't leak in anyone's systems unless their seals are very worn. The problem with M1 is that its on the thin side of a SAE30 when hot and tends to disappear quickly after 3,000 miles. It is also very high in detergents and tends to overclean the engine, however the wear numbers on it are usually really good if you have it analysed.

The mobil1 in my car and numerous others tends to cause some valve clatter when cold, something I don't like hearing and thought it was something the 3800 had inately until I changed my oil to another brand.

Because I was a loyal valvoline customer for so long, and I found out that their Maxlife product was high in PAO base, antiwear additives, and a good dose of hydrocracked III base to fill it up - not to mention the detergents were on a safer side... I decided to try it. After going through 2 oil changes my wear numbers are lower than they were with the mobil 1 and the valve clatter has completely vanished even at 30degF cold starts. I am very happy with this oil too because its $2/qt, not $3.50+. The other thing about Mobil1 is its designed not for performance but for having a long life in your car. M1 and Amsoil were both designed to last 10,000-20,000 miles in between oil changes without a problem, and most people find pouring it out any sooner than 6,000 is a waste of good oil. Due to that, Im also happy I'm running the maxlife since even though it can go 8,000 miles safely - Im not wasting nearly as much money.

On the oil weight side the maxlife is a middle grade SAE30.

If I was to run mobil 1 again I would likely run their 0W40 european grade to get the right viscocity out of the oil - the 10W30 is just too thin for my pushrod iron beast [img]smile.gif[/img]

The only other recommendation I can make is to run a PF52 (AC Delco part number, use it for cross reference for another filter brand) instead of the delco PF47. The PF52 is a much longer filter and allows you to have cleaner oil and run 5quarts (not 4.5 and waste the half a quart) safely in your 3800.

Hope that helps!
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I personally use Quaker State Synthetic for Performance Cars or the may call it High Horsepower cars. I have a 97 with ugh 80k+ miles and drives liek a beast. No problems with the oil. I always use the AC Delco filter from auto for about $2. Works great. Something to think about: If people advertise oil changes for like $20 and when an individual goes out to buy oil it cost him around $30 and then you still gotta buy filter. It kinda makes you wonder what kind of cheep stuff the shops put in our cars. :cool:
          Only a v6 until college is done.{:^)

Comment

I use 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and use AC Delco filter PF52. I use all 5 quarts perfect in my 3.4L It should be the same for the 3.8L because I did it for a friend of mine.

I also change my oil every 3,000 miles, even if I use Mobil 1 oil. The thought of running oil for 6,000-10,0000 miles between oil changes just scares me [img]smile.gif[/img]
            E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

Mobil 1 says:

"Will let you change your oil at the maximum recommended interval by the manufacturer."

For our cars, that is the oil change light, not 3k miles.

Mobil 1 is good for extended drain intervals, they just don't want any liability from customers or manufacturers, which in today's sue-happy world, I don't blame them.

I use it in my car, runs smoother. I have used the Mobil 1 filter and the fram filter (both larger sizes). I have trouble finding the ac delco filter.
              2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strobhen:
                Mobil 1 says:

"Will let you change your oil at the maximum recommended interval by the manufacturer."

For our cars, that is the oil change light, not 3k miles.

Mobil 1 is good for extended drain intervals, they just don't want any liability from customers or manufacturers, which in today's sue-happy world, I don't blame them.

I use it in my car, runs smoother. I have used the Mobil 1 filter and the fram filter (both larger sizes). I have trouble finding the ac delco filter.
                <hr></blockquote>

I dont have the "OIL CHANGE" light.

I refer to my owner's manual and it says every 3,000 miles, you need to change your oil., among other things.
                E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 6Cyl Firebird:
                  I personally use Quaker State Synthetic for Performance Cars or the may call it High Horsepower cars. I have a 97 with ugh 80k+ miles and drives liek a beast. No problems with the oil. I always use the AC Delco filter from auto for about $2. Works great. cars. :cool: <hr></blockquote>

Same here
                  [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X