LS1 / LS1 or an older 350?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 / LS1 or an older 350?

I'm torn as what to do here guys. I finaly have got some cash And I don't know if I should get an older 350 or an LS1. I know its hard to compare the two except the fact is I dought I can afford an LS1. What is easier to install I guess I should be asking. On and can I keep my current exhaust?

[ May 31, 2003: Message edited by: pyrokilla ]</p>
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=401701\" target=\"_blank\">3.4L Red Firebird</a>

I think by law you have to put a engine from the same (LT1) year or newer. or the older V8 must have all the emission controls as a '94 car. Someone correct me if im wrong.
    1999 Camaro V6 A4<br />Navy Blue metallic<br />Intake+Exhaust+4.10+?=?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by calvo:
      I think by law you have to put a engine from the same (LT1) year or newer. or the older V8 must have all the emission controls as a '94 car. Someone correct me if im wrong.<hr></blockquote>

Not where I'm at. We don't even have emissions laws (I could have stright pipes)
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=401701\" target=\"_blank\">3.4L Red Firebird</a>

Comment

Here in Florida, we don't have emissions laws. And, I personally would go w/ an older 350 and carberate it but it will take some modding to make it fit right.
        Andrew

Comment

I think you guys may have emission laws and emission testing mixed up.
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

we don't have emission laws in michigan either [img]smile.gif[/img]
            1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

every state has emission laws. Not every state does emissions testing.

Catalytic converters are a federal requirement, so all 50 states must require them by lawp Even if you could run straight pipes (which you can't on anything younger than 25 years old and declared a Classic vehicle with special tags/plates) you'd still get busted for noise pollution which every state has laws against.

Being able to "get away with it" is another matter, but its still illegal.

If you are talking about putting a SBC into a fourth generation F-body, it can be done. But it's not as simple as you would think. The main problem involves getting the engine to clear the cowl. Both intake/carb. and distributor will give you some fitment problems. (Nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer and a cowl hood)

But in order to get the same performance from a SBC as a stock LS1. You'll still spend about the same roughly - especially if you want it to look good (polished parts).
              Your effeciency may be as good as 20 MPG but nothing of what an LS1 will be.
              <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bliggida:
                every state has emission laws. Not every state does emissions testing.

Catalytic converters are a federal requirement, so all 50 states must require them by lawp Even if you could run straight pipes (which you can't on anything younger than 25 years old and declared a Classic vehicle with special tags/plates) you'd still get busted for noise pollution which every state has laws against.

Being able to "get away with it" is another matter, but its still illegal.

If you are talking about putting a SBC into a fourth generation F-body, it can be done. But it's not as simple as you would think. The main problem involves getting the engine to clear the cowl. Both intake/carb. and distributor will give you some fitment problems. (Nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer and a cowl hood)

But in order to get the same performance from a SBC as a stock LS1. You'll still spend about the same roughly - especially if you want it to look good (polished parts).
                Your effeciency may be as good as 20 MPG but nothing of what an LS1 will be.
                <hr></blockquote>

In this case...I agree completely.
                <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X