Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro is cutting out

Its a 3.1 V6 1991 Camaro
    Not sure what is going on. The car is just running really rough. Its cutting out a lot, not to where its going to shut off, just the engine is stumbling.

Ill give it some gas, and it just stutters like crazy. I am having it checked tommorow.

Fuel injectors maybe? Anyone have any clue?

Re: Camaro is cutting out

Hey man, i had this problem too. It was the cat that was pluged, if you take it in make sure you tell them that could be it cuz i got stuck with a hefty shop bill cuz they couldnt figure it out at first.
    2000 Firebird A4

Comment

Many possibilities. Cat, plugs, wires, injectors, MAF. No SES yet? When it does do, try and get it to do it so bad that it'll throw a code. Then you'll get a better idea as to what's wrong.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Yeah, that is true. It was wierd i could only throw a code if i had it full throttle for ever so the mechanic never could get it to throw a code. But i guess i would like to be with one to blow it if it was something worse.
        2000 Firebird A4

Comment

Ya, that would suck. Like I said, it could be a number, or combo, of many things. I'd say first pour some STP injector cleaner into your tank, worst come to worst, you just cleaned you injectors earlier. Mine was a combo of the injectors and the MAF. It stuttered really bad at all RPMS at first, then I put in injector cleaner, and it would only do it at certain RPM's. I got it to throw a code, and it said I had a bad MAF. If you want, go ahead and throw some new wires and plugs in it (do NOT get Bosch Platinums). And next time you drive it after you get to work or where ever, put it in park, get out and on the ground, and see if you can see the cat glowing. If the cat's not glowing, then it's most likely not the cat. if the injector cleaner and plugs and wires don't fix it, then it's most likely EGR or MAF. Like I said, start it off with some injector cleaner and go from there. If you crank it up at night and look under the hood, you might see the plug wires sparking, if so then get new wires and plugs cuz that's your problem. hope that helps.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

as previously stated, could be lots of things. my first guesses would be the cat clogged, coils, or maybe a tune up. good luck on the fix, we have all been there.

edit, when the cat was clogged in my car the car shook really bad, wouldnt go anywhere and at high rpms (about 2500) it would shake and almost die. then i heard a hissing sound from the enigne bay. that was my egr valve gasket blowing out. to chekc for this, hold you hand near the tailpipe while its idleing or someone is pushing the throttle. if not much air is coming out, it could be the cat.

also, when my ignition coiuls went out the first time, the car would act like it was running on 4 cyclinders. it was unbalanced and didnt happen all the time. the shop couldnt figure out what was wrong with it. i would floor it, wouldnt go anywhere. the all the sudden, vtec. all the cylinders fired.

like i said before, good luck.
            Last edited by bradmb; 10-22-2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the help guys, keep it coming.
              well, i sort of fixed it. one of the plug wires were not on all the way. but they suck, flimsy wires. so now its not so much cutting out, but feels like somethings not giving it all the go it should have. like its being held back. i was also told to get a new distributor cap.

I had the fuel injectors and throttle body cleaned today, and its still not doing right. its kind of purring, which sounds good, but as you know, we all know our cars, and we know what it supposed to sound like when its running right, and it aint running right. its purring like its got little power. So this is why i still believe its the plugs/wires/distributor cap. like its still not firing right all the way around.

catalytic converter uh? never thought of that. ill have to check it out.
              i am so sick of the problems, i gotta fix this thing. so annoying.
              wish i could find the one thing to fix it. thought i did when i saw how loose the spark plug wire was.
              Last edited by Camaroguy1991; 10-23-2006, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X