How long can a new battery last with a dead alt? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long can a new battery last with a dead alt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can a new battery last with a dead alt?

2 questions here:

a)Roughly how long can you drive a car with a brand new battery and a dead alternator?

b) As far as I know, there is no way a drained battery can kill an alternator. Am I right?
    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

a) depends on what you run in the car (lights, a/c). i have run 15-30 minutes on a dead altenator. it would be bad for the battery.

b) the alternator/charging circuit is not meant to be used to recharge a dead/flat battery. you can damage the alternator (and void any warranty you might have on the altenator). use a battery charger to charge the battery.

Comment

I think you can actually ruin the battery if you drive around with the alternator gone...
      Last year my alternator took a crap on me and my dad wouldn't let me drive my car AT ALL because you can easily get stranded... You can run a Deep Cycle battery all the way empty then charge it though, thats what they're for [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

you can deep cycle a car battery a couple times but it does shorten the life. there is also a small chance that it wont take a charge after a deep discharge.

Comment

My alt died and I was able to drive for about 60 miles before she finally gave up....and it wasn't pretty at the end....but I have an optima yellow top deep cycle.
          <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

i drove 27 miles with a dead alt on the highway, not running any electrical crap like radio ,a/c all that, definatly not headlights...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer:
              i drove 27 miles with a dead alt on the highway, not running any electrical crap like radio ,a/c all that, definatly not headlights...
              Same for me....cept the headlights....it was nighttime so I was forced to. Luckily they are HIDs and only pull 35W each.
              <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

I ran like 30 miles in my 3.4L when the alaternator cable was corroded and snapped during an autocross(all the wierd problems seem to happen at autocrosses with me)

As for my 3.8L... I have done 5 passes, some heater usage, fan usage... all off the battery and didn't seem to phase it at all..

but I hear it shorten's the life of the battery...

Comment

I drove around 20 miles with no alternator in my old car. Everything was kept off.

and yes, drained battery can brake the alternator.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X