Locating oil leaks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating oil leaks...

I've got one oil leak somewhere thats not too good. The oil is on the front of the engine around the pulleys and around the thermostat houseing (3.4). Let me know if you know what I should look for AND what are the prime seals to check.
    <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

I would clean the engine vary well using some kind of cleaner. Put a newspaper or something under the car and just follow the drip the next morning.
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

just an idea here but timing chain cover maybe?
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

Is it a 3.8? Rear main seal.
        Have you checked if it's a 3.8? Definitely rear main seal.
        Got a 3.8? Must be the rear main seal.
        Oil leak on your 3.8? Rear main seal.

OK, I know you don't have a 3.8, but did you know that the rear main seal leaks on 3.8's?

Might be the same for your 3.4, cause all the rear main seals on the 3.8's leak. Of course, you've got a front leak. Check the timing cover, and good luck!

-Rob

[ December 18, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

It could be your power steering pump that is leaking. My neighbor works for a GM dealership and said that the power steering pumps leak where the pulley is inserted into the pump. He also said they are notorious for leaking. Mine is doing it right now. There is a seal that has to be replaced. I need to go to the dealership to get one because none of the auto stores carry it. My neighbor said he would pick one up for me. You need a gear puller to get the pulley off then what he does is run a self tapping screw into the seal to back it out. Hope this might help. My car is leaking at the front also and I thought it was engine oil but my neighbor saw and and told me it was the power steering pump.
          2000 Silver Firebird<br />1988 Maroon GTA

Comment

There is another way of checking for an oil leak. There is a dye that you can add to your fluids that won't hurt the car. You need a black light also. The dye shows up under a black light but make sure everything is cleaned off. You can trace the leak back to that. GM dealerships carry it also.
            2000 Silver Firebird<br />1988 Maroon GTA

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X