X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel rail magnets (?)

wtf is this?
    http://www.ecelica.com/cgi-bin/ubb/u...c;f=4;t=000315

if this **** is true... then the magnets are going to stop stuff int he fuel lines.. eventualy becomeing a very Bad thing
    91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

I have those fuel magnets on my bro's jeep.
      It supposidly breaks up the complex fuel moecule so it can be burned more completely.
      I think it is bs though, Who knows?????
      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Personally I think its [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

I don't see any physical way that a magnet could affect a non-magnetic material such as a hydrocarbon. It just doesn't fit within the laws of the universe.

Comment

Snake oil, from a snake oil salesman. Does the guy sell the air-intake Tornado, too?
          ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

I've done some research on the magnetic properties of hydrocarbons and it seems that the petrochemical industry uses magnets for everything. Also, there a bunch of manufacturers that make this product, not just a lone operator. It seems to be more targeted to commercial applications. The articles that I found suggest that hydrocarbons are susceptible to magnetic fields. I'm not 100% sure that the claims the above manufacturer are correct, but i will post more after i get more info. Maybe this will turn out to be a good mod
            1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

about 6 or 8 months ago someone posted something about this.. wanna say it was dominic.. anyway there were aparently EPA tests on this and basically these were the conclusions if I remember right..

1. fuel can "ionize" and basically the molocules become attracted to each other
              2. magnets can de-ionize fuel and make it burn easier.
              3. fuel has to sit up for quite some time for this to auctually happen.. more than fuel sits in most cars
              4. modern fuel systems flow alot of fuel at high pressure and basically the fuel flows past the magnets much too fast to do any good..

they did tests on cars and the magnets made no differnce in emissions.. while the theory of magnets making fuel burn better is a sound one.. it just isn't needed and doesn't work in modern cars.. I maybe someone else will remember this and find the article..
              -Brad
              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
              :rock:

Comment

I did read the debate on both sides of the fence. I have also read numerous reports both claiming gains in hp/fuel economy/reduced emissions/etc and showing no noticable difference. The biggest factor in these analyses seems to be the quality of magnets used. Some of the more high end magnets are so powerful that should two of them come close enough to attract each other and you had a finger between them, your finger would be crushed and the magnets would shatter. These seem to be the units that have verifiable gains, but they cost 300-400 dollars, not the 20-30 dollars you can find an inexpensive unit on ebay for. i'll try to find some links to the more reputable manufacturers so board members can make their own descision.
                1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

From a medical point of view, all molecules react to a magnetic field, that is why we have MRIs, it all has to do with the spin of the molecue and the energy released when you change the spin and it bounces back.....But as for changing the permenant molecular arrangement of an object would require quite a bit of energy (somewhere aroung 7-10 Teslas...or a sh*tload). I agree we need to raise the [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] flag here
                  Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

I don't think any of the manufacturers or testers claimed the magnetic field permanently changes the molecular arrangement of a hydrocarbon. The idea was to break up the positively charged ions just before combustion. I'm not a chemist, but it sounds like changing the molecular arrangement of a compound would in essence change the compund into something else. I have a hard time believing so many companies manufacture this for the commercial sector for it to be total BS. Now whether the price is worth the gain is a whole other argument.

Comment

Molecules are often times charged either positively or negatively. Gasoline is a highly refined hydrocarbon that probably has a charge (they say it does) Therefore, if there are two molecules, not neccesarly gas, that have the opposite charge, they can become bonded like in the hydrogen bond of water molecules. Running them through a magnetic field can disrupt that attraction long enough to burn more readily when it is vaporized in the combustion chamber. But by them having an attraction between molecules does not change the structure of the substance, they just hang out together.
                      1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

Ok I just figured out why these things are so popular commercially (ie trucks, diesel). On several websites i found information that says these devices are a very inexpensive way to bring heavy duty commercial vehicles in line with emissions standards. Most of the commercial maunfacturers claim between 70-90 % reduction in hydrocarbon emissions. These devices seem to be used as a cheap alternative to expensive retrofitting for older vehicles that still run but fail emissions. Still looking for good links to post.

Comment

here's a decent link

this whole technology may indeed be a sham, but i'm learning a helluva lot about magnets [img]smile.gif[/img]

www.wondermagnet.com/dev/magwatertreat.html#links

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X