Can irregular RPM from !MAF screen causing valvetrain ticking? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can irregular RPM from !MAF screen causing valvetrain ticking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can irregular RPM from !MAF screen causing valvetrain ticking?

Here's my problem. I have a 96 camaro with the angled throttle body. I removed the MAF screen a while ago with the stock intake, and everything was good. When I made my own intake, as long as i left my intake on, the idle wasn't too bad, but getting worse if the intake was off for drag racing(+5HP, I dynoed it).
    My question is that is it possible for a small flunctuating RPM to cause lower oil pressures and hence causing a lifter to tick. I thought this was the case because when i take my intake off at the track, thats when the idle would be worse, and oil pressure would be slightly lower, around 30-35 psi, usually its at 40.
    1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Re: Can irregular RPM from !MAF screen causing valvetrain ticking?

i removed my MAF on my 98, and def see an irregular RPM at idle, but only when the motor is cold. I believe it does cause a dip in oil pressure, but should not cause lifter knock.

Comment

I thought everyone said not to do !MAF Screen if you have an angled TB.
      ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
      A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

sure they did, but i am addicted to CFM's

Comment

Originally posted by UDLOSE98
          sure they did, but i am addicted to CFM's
          what's CFMs?.....I feel stoopid for not knowing.....
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Cubic Feet of air per Minute

Comment

my car has always had a tick at idle, espically when cold and that is when my oil pressure is highest, some time back there was a long discussion about this and we just came to the conclusion that you are either hearing your injectors firing or just valvetrain noise as in once everything warms up metal expands and tolerances become tighter thus quieting the motor. They all do it more than likely it's no big deal 30 -40 pis oil pressure is more than enough to keep the motor happy.

the rough idle is likely just making the noise more prevelant
              -Brad
              98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100
              If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
              :rock:

Comment

no this isnt an injector, or plug wire, or anything like that, its a lifter.
                1996 white camaro M5<br />-Custom CAI, !MAF, !EGR, Hi-Flow Cat, Magnaflow Cat-back, Removed Jack/Spare/Back seats.<br /><br />2.12 60\' Best<br />15.14 @ 90 1/4 mile Best

Comment

could it be an exhaust leak? EGR leak?

DONT Take Out the MAF SCREEN!! period, angled or straight TBs
                  2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X