Firebird driver side mirror assembly - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebird driver side mirror assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird driver side mirror assembly

The mirror itself is somehow detached from the mechanism that holds it - with some sort of sticky GLUE substance! So now it's angled all the way out and useless. This happened couple years ago, and insurance paid for the replacement side mirror assembly.

Anyone experienced this problem before? I love the bird to death, but come on GM... this is friggin pathetic.

The only common factor is exposure to outside elements/temperature. The first time it broke, it was sitting out in the sun during summer. This time, it's the sudden cool down over NC? But this is pretty bad... all they had to do was use a solid connecting assembly and this problem won't even exist. Instead, GM chose to glue them together?

I did a search here and on google, and surprisingly not much about this.

Help?

I will get a photo up here tonight.
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Re: Firebird driver side mirror assembly

A pic might help, but i think i understand whats going on.

What does back behind the mirror look like? IMO i think some 3M double sided tape would be alright, i mean it holds on body kits and spoilers.
    Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by lostatlantis
      The mirror itself is somehow detached from the mechanism that holds it - with some sort of sticky GLUE substance! So now it's angled all the way out and useless. This happened couple years ago, and insurance paid for the replacement side mirror assembly.

Anyone experienced this problem before? I love the bird to death, but come on GM... this is friggin pathetic.
      Yes, and it is not serviceable. I just got another one from a salvage yard - easy to install.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400
        A pic might help, but i think i understand whats going on.

What does back behind the mirror look like? IMO i think some 3M double sided tape would be alright, i mean it holds on body kits and spoilers.
        That's about what I had in mind, but wasn't sure if there's a more permanent fix like the headlight metal gear deal.

I have manual adjuster for the mirror, and the best I can explain is imagine a load hung in air with three or four ropes. One snaps, but the others are still intact. So the load tilts toward the attachment points that are still good. Does that help?

I'll get a pic here soon.
        \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
          Yes, and it is not serviceable. I just got another one from a salvage yard - easy to install.

So no glue or heavy duty tape? I replaced the assembly last time, but right now don't have the time/energy to go through this (see my Dukes of hazzard thread). And of course trying to minimize cost of repair too.
          Last edited by lostatlantis; 11-03-2006, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Ecaxt same thing happened to me and I had to replace the whole assembly. I kept my eye on ebay.....for a long time, before I found one.
            Originally posted by kala
            I'll have buttsecks with Richard Simmons!

TEAM BLACK!!!
            parting her out

Comment

It sounds like one the cables pulled out of the plastic from the back of the mirror (apparently fairly common) and someone used some kind of sticky something or other, to fix it once before. On my 99 Camaro mirror, the very end of the cable pulled out like that, and I took the mirror off and removed the mechanism out of the mirror and used “Super Glue” to glue it back in to it‘s hole. Super Glue works extremely well on that type of plastic, as well as the plastic that the front fenders are made of. Try gluing a crack in the factory (oem) type plastic fenders and see how well it does - it won’t re-break. I don’t know how well it works on the after market type fenders though.
              Good luck-

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X