If all a turbo does is create air pressure....why cant an air tank do the same thing? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If all a turbo does is create air pressure....why cant an air tank do the same thing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If all a turbo does is create air pressure....why cant an air tank do the same thing?

Ok wierd idea, me and my friends have been thinking of testing it out on one of my friends 86' 300zx.....ok so a turbo creates pressure from exhaust and forces it into the intake manifold...turbos are expensive because of precise machining and such....turbos also have turbo lag....an air tank doesnt...when the throttle body plate closes the turbo stops spinning (unless blowoff valve)....and air tank wont do this...it would not take a big tank...15lbs or so..maybee even smaller for the track..pump it up with a electric compressor....outside car....and use as a turbo...10psi...would last a while...has anyone ever thought of this or has it even been done before and if so does it work??....the only concern I have is the volume of air required(ya I know I just contridicted my previous sentence)...sure its only 10psi but your engine really sucks that air...and the setting on the tank may have to be higher to get the actual 10 psi..say maybee 100-120psi....what most tank "redline" at.....so gimme your thoughts on this please...anyone...im posting this in Turbos and in General Tech to get a few more responses

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Yes I considered this a while back and found there is only about 4,000cfm of air in a 10lb bottle of SCUBA air. You're better off using it as an intake coolant than a form of forced induction [img]smile.gif[/img] However the principle is correct.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Won't work. You would need like a 500 gallon tank to make a quarter mile pass. The reason people use turbos nitrous and superchargers is due to their efficency.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey:
        Won't work. You would need like a 500 gallon tank to make a quarter mile pass. The reason people use turbos nitrous and superchargers is due to their efficency.<hr></blockquote>

you forget the air is compressed...

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

please don't post the same topic twice in different forums. Thanks
          White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X