Water Pump problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump problems...

Yesterday afternoon I changed my water pump out on my 97 3.8...it was very simple. I let it sit all night...to make sure the RTV was good and set. This morning when i started her up the water pump was making a "clicking" noise. I didn't think to much of it, thinking that it was just a new pump and that i was just not accustom to hearing that sound. But when i got to werk (about 20 miles away) the noise had gotten louder. Does anyone know if a new waterpump would make that noise? I was thinking that maybe some of the RTV had gotten on the blades but I figured i'd drop a post and see if anyone else had had this problem before I go back and take it off and ruin the gasket.
    1997 3.8 30th Anniversary Edition<br />SLP Cold Air Induction<br />Flowmaster with duel tips<br />Bosch Platnum Plugs<br />MSD wires<br />and a nice dent on the front left...thanks Petr Shedran!<p>...more mods to come!

I just changed mine and had no problems. The click could be from a bad bearing in the water pump. Aftermarket water pumps from Advance, Autozone, or where ever are notorius for being cheap and poorly made. It is possible that the noise is just from a bad water pump, but first I would take it off and check in there. The fact that it got louder makes it seem as if you are heading towards mechanical failure of some time, either in the bearing, or the pump impellers being misaligned.
    Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

Thats what I was thinking....but...I was sitting here just brain storming and I was thinking that maybe I tightened down the waterpump to much. A friend of mine said he did his without a torque wrench and it werks fine....so i figured what the hell....You think that could be it? Maybe the clicking I hear is that blades spinning to close. Where did you get your water pump from. The one I have is an aftermarket one from Discount. Also, do you know if they make electric pumps for the 3.8?
      1997 3.8 30th Anniversary Edition<br />SLP Cold Air Induction<br />Flowmaster with duel tips<br />Bosch Platnum Plugs<br />MSD wires<br />and a nice dent on the front left...thanks Petr Shedran!<p>...more mods to come!

Comment

Yes, Meziere(sp?) makes one. Supposed to be really nice too. I wouldn't mind tossing one on in the future. :D
        <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

I had the same problem with mine and it turned out he pulley bolts weren't tightened properly, so the clicking was the pulley rotating out of balance due to the variance in the bolt torque.
          I tightened them as much as i could and viola!! no more clicking. Hope this helps
          1993 Camaro 3.4L A4 many mods comin for 2004<br /><br />\"The last thing I wanted was to get in a fight in Jackson, Mississippi on a Saturday night\"

Comment

that could be it....i didn't tighted the bolts as tight as they could go...i bet i could still squeeze a 1/4 turn er so outta a few of them. I'll give it a shot when i get home this afternoon.

Thanks for the help. Also, if anyone has a webpage for that electric water pump that would be great!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X