ATTN James :) Battery relocation and cranking problems - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN James :) Battery relocation and cranking problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN James :) Battery relocation and cranking problems

I bought the Summit battery relocation kit http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=680

And the wire is supposed be setup gauged right for a longer cable, yet the car now has a really hard time starting in the morning when it's not warm and I'm worried that I'm going to kill my starter.

I've pretty much checked all the connections, etc, and I'm not sure why it would be any different then it was before? Anyone have experience in this area?

Feedback is appreciated,
    Sam

Aim: Deftonedthree

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: xjarayax ]</p>
    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Are you sure you have a good ground (-)?

Although it probably doesn't matter much, where did you route the (+) cable?
    ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

The car is still having the cranking problem. I had it grounded in the rear- right on the frame, but now I moved it to where the ground for the hatch release, but that made no difference.

It is also still grounded in the front in the stock ground location, and I have the new positive cable that is running from the rear battery, running thru the interior, tucked under carpeting along the side of the car, thru the firewall, and connected to the OLD stock positive terminal.

My gauges do a full sweep and my trip odometer resets when the car does start, I know that is usually a sign of a dying battery according to the LS1 guys, but I borrowed the battery out of my dad's Z28 (which cranks beautifully) and tried it and the same thing happened.

Why do I still have cranking problems? We even bought an overnight battery charger and charged it up and it didn't help anything.

Sam

AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

The positive cable going from the battery to the starter is probably too long and you're getting too much resistance. I would suggest getting a larger guage cable than came in the kit and maybe a battery with more CA and CCA than the stock one. Optima red tops are nice for around 100 bucks.

edit: can't spell :D

[ December 25, 2002: Message edited by: PiLOTLiTE ]</p>

Comment

Supposedly the cable is supposed to be gauged for rear mount battery, so they compensate for that. I really don't want to opt for a new battery as that makes for an expensive project.

I hope it's a bad ground or something ;) James? I know you did this to yours run across anything of the like?

Comment

^

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X