I did a search...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I did a search...

why do you keep thinking you have head gasket problems?
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
      He's hoping for the best and expecting the worst. You can never go wrong with that.
      Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG
        It's 192k miles on the original headgasket, and I pretty much add antifreeze every 2-3 days, about a quart or so, so far.

Comment

Originally posted by youngsc
          When I got a random cylinder misfire it was because I needed to change my plugs and wires. Do you have any misfire or sluggish performance? Is your SES light actually on or it's just showing up when scanned?
          plugs and wires are less than a few months old with heat wrap ( the wires are at least. ) They aren't arcing either, no signs of it at least.

it's a multiple random cylinder miss fire too, it feels more like a miss, and ever since I put that piping back together she's run a hell of a lot smoother, I haven't floored it or anything to see if she lost power like before the pipe blew completely out, it's been too wet....

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
            The main question, should I blame my cat for the random multiple cylinder miss fire, or the headgasket?
            misfires are more caused by the ignition systems, so neither. Check to make sure none of your spark plug wires are burned, then replace your spark plugs. NGK TR-55's are pretty popular

Some does come out the exhaust, I think it does at least, it's pretty cold here now and she smokes a little, but I don't know what's too much... I've seen some pretty bad smoke before come out of a car with a bad gasket/head.
            If you had a bad head gasket, 1) your oil would look like a chocolate milkshake, and 2) your car would be smoking like a fog machine

Comment

When your headgasket goes, doesn't oil foul out your spark plugs? I know when I had my Dodge Neon years ago, when my head gasket went I pulled my plugs only to find them drenched in oil at the tips.

So, even if your spark plugs are new, pull them and inspect them. It can't hurt to check them, even if you think they are too new to be the problem. I've seen spark plugs go bad upon installation, so it's never too soon for them to foul out.

Good luck finding the problem, and I hope it isn't too bad of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke Panther
                misfires are more caused by the ignition systems, so neither. Check to make sure none of your spark plug wires are burned, then replace your spark plugs. NGK TR-55's are pretty popular

If you had a bad head gasket, 1) your oil would look like a chocolate milkshake, and 2) your car would be smoking like a fog machine

The ONLY mechanic to EVER work on this car, is the one who found the headgasket problem. It's very possible the antifreeze is going through the intake side and spitting into my cylinders, diluting my gas, which is causing obvious problems...also, some smoke does come out the rear, but I can't tell how much is too much because how cold it is here. It doesn't always get into the oil either. and the car doesn't always smoke like a mofo. When it smokes like a mofo, you usually have a completely F**ked gasket or a cracked head.

Comment

have you had the ICM and coil packs checked?
                  as far as misfires the first things id always check are plugs/wires/icm/coilpacks

for the coolant leak you might want to check out the hoses and intake gaskets also.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                  http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                  Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber
                    have you had the ICM and coil packs checked?
                    as far as misfires the first things id always check are plugs/wires/icm/coilpacks

for the coolant leak you might want to check out the hoses and intake gaskets also.

it is the head gasket. How long do you guys expect the stock headgasket from 1997-1998 to last? lmao, 192k miles, raced a few times, a few burn outs, and it's still holding in there.

The only leak is the driver's side headgasket at the rear. None other, I did a leak down test...a thorough one, lol.

Edit: Coil packs have been checked, still getting around to the ICM. Plugs have been "checked" and inspected for arching, none.
                    Not only that, she's burning antifreeze a little faster. Ahem. I've used about half a gallon the whole week and a half I have been driving her.

Edit2: Oh and on the spark plugs, oil only gets on the spark plugs if it mixes with the antifreeze, because the oil will break down and start making a mess. Also, for me if my plugs fouled, it's more than likely antifreeze getting into the cylinders fouling the plug out.
                    Last edited by Moses; 12-08-2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Well... antifreeze has more of a tendancy to clean the spark plug rather than fowl it. If you have consistent antifreeze consumption and no external antifreeze leaks, you can isolate the cylinder(s) that is burning the antifreeze by pulling the plugs and comparing them to each other. The plugs that no carbon depositis will be the ones burning the antifreeze. Antifreeze steams the carbon off the plugs.

This constant antifreeze consumption that you have can be due to intake gasket leakage or head gasket leakage. When your Antifreeze consumption is very slight, it cannot be visually detected in the exhaust because there just isn't enough of it getting into the cylinders to produce white smoke.
                      Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Eitherway, I still need to get the head gasket kit. If I can make the gaskets last long enough ( I'm not pushing the RPM's past 2500rpms at all...I'd say I'm babying it. lmao. ) I planned on sending my heads to the machine shop...

Comment

I think thats a wise discision. If you have a strong suspition that it is indeed the head gaskets, change them out before they cause problems and damage elsewhere.
                          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

yeah I need to finish out the intake manifold's p & p job too, it's got a mild one on it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                              by ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                              1 week ago
                            • RPDRed6
                              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                              by RPDRed6
                              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • ssms5411
                              No start problem
                              by ssms5411
                              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X