Rattle is getting worse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle is getting worse...

I have a 96 3.8, when i am idling or give it a little gas there is a rattle. I crawled under there to see where it was coming from. Its coming from around flywheel/clutch area. I know its not my cat. It doesnt matter if my clutch is engaged or i have it in gear. Somewhere i read on here that the spring governing the pinion gear could be hitting the flywheel?? i did notice that there is a mark on all the teeth on the flywheel. think this could be it???

Re: Rattle is getting worse...

are you sure its not a heat shield? the one around the cat is close to the clutch/flywheel area. just trying to eleminate the easy stuff. ive never read anything about the pinon problem but it seems possible.
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Just be carefull ! It could be a sign of your clutch about to go.

Comment

The clutch is working fine, it goes into gear fine and isnt grinding. I have heard however that it could be the throwout bearing. Any truth to this??

Comment

Originally posted by loser
          are you sure its not a heat shield? the one around the cat is close to the clutch/flywheel area.
          The Cat heat shield rattles on my 96.
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
            It did on mine too , and there is another one down the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT
              seems to be a common problem, it rattled on mine too. i just ripped it off.

any updates on the car? check the whole exhuast system and heat sheilds. does it rattle over bumps/pot holes? is it constant or hit and miss?
              1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Originally posted by iGoRa
                It did on mine too , and there is another one down the pipe.
                the one on my I pipe rattled a little too but i was able to bend it a little and it stopped rattling.

Comment

I checked the heat shield on the cat. The rattle is definately coming fromthe engine area. It rattles at low RPMs. I have looked for hours trying to find some sort of shield loose. Could it be something in the lower end of the engine? or would that rattle all the time instead of just low RPMs. I plan on doing the clutch in a couple weeks so i guess i will just park her untill then:mad:

Comment

if its engine related it usually is more distinctive than a rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by loser
                      seems to be a common problem, it rattled on mine too. i just ripped it off.

any updates on the car? check the whole exhuast system and heat sheilds. does it rattle over bumps/pot holes? is it constant or hit and miss?
                      I have this kind of problem on my '98 Firebird 3.8. Whenever I go over potholes or bumps there is a metal rattling. Would this be the cat heat shield?

Comment

header bolts??
                        2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

I bet its the muffler hitting that support thing right under the DS. I think its called tubular somthing. I took mine off and problem solved.
                          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/lucky19\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/lucky19</a>

Comment

Originally posted by benavidez19
                            I bet its the muffler hitting that support thing right under the DS. I think its called tubular somthing. I took mine off and problem solved.
                            He already said it's coming from somewhere close to the engine, you are referring to something after the tranny so I doubt this is it, unless he has bad ears.

Remove your heat shield from your cat and drive around for a short while or just sit there and keep it revved in low rpms and see if anything happens.

A sound clip would be a great thing for us to have if you have the capability of getting us one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X