Swapping PCMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping PCMs

I've heard a few 99 F-bodies with 3.08s who did a 3.42 gear upgrade wound up upgrading their PCM to a 2000 Y87 PCM. Their car "seemed" to fucntion properly (normal driving and no SES) and would run without a problem. I contacted hypertech and they said that "if" this is possible, then the HPP3 would be compatible to your vehicle. Does anyone want to shed any light on this? BTW, I already have a 99 Y87. I want that Hypertech, but they emailed me back saying they really have no further plans for anymore programmers other than the 2000-2002 :(

(btw, for a PCM to be changed like this, how much would it cost?)

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: 99Camaro99 ]</p>

TTT...anyone?

Comment

You can find junkyard PCMs for $50+ on auto-part.com if you're desperate.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

what's the key word to search for? pcm?
        1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

Don't know about anyone else, but I have the 2000 program in my 99. I didn't physically switch PCM's though, I just had a tech at my local dealer reprogram the one that was already there, using a VIN from a 2K car.
          And it didn't cost anything. I was lucky enough to find a guy who was into racing and was willing to try a few experiments on my car. Too bad he's moved on to another dealership since then.

Rik

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Rik:
            Don't know about anyone else, but I have the 2000 program in my 99. I didn't physically switch PCM's though, I just had a tech at my local dealer reprogram the one that was already there, using a VIN from a 2K car.
            And it didn't cost anything. I was lucky enough to find a guy who was into racing and was willing to try a few experiments on my car. Too bad he's moved on to another dealership since then.

Rik
            <hr></blockquote>

so when that program goes in, it's like have a 2000 vehicle? So if I were to get them to do this, it would allow me to use the HPP3 Programmer? Also btw, would you know if that guy moved to a dealership a little further south in Florida? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 99Camaro99:

so when that program goes in, it's like have a 2000 vehicle? So if I were to get them to do this, it would allow me to use the HPP3 Programmer? Also btw, would you know if that guy moved to a dealership a little further south in Florida? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
              <hr></blockquote>

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Only way to know for sure is to try it and see, I'm sure you could return the programmer if it turns out for some reason it won't work.
              The tech's name is Kelly Daniels...not sure where he is now, it's been two years. Last I heard he was at Bill Heard Chevrolet...which is NORTH of Orlando...but that may no longer be true.

Comment

ok one more question...where to I find the 00 VIN? Anyone here willing to hook me up with theirs?

I need one for a 2000 Camaro V6 with Y87, GU6, G80, and basically every option EXCEPT ASR. I don't have that feature. Thanks.

Comment

You'll probably get more feedback if you post in the Lounge.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X