Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars

I, along with a group, am doing a paper on alternative fuels. My topic is ethanol. Ethanol has an octane raing of 113. Could our cars run off of ethanol. If not completely, then maybe 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline?

jp

doesn't gas already contain ethonal to improve emissions (especially in the big cities during the winter months)?

Comment

Many states, including california, already put wither MTBE or Ethanol in the fuel. I have seen as high as 15% ethanol in fuel before - and all ethanol mixed fuels I have ran have given me shotty fuel economy.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I know Ive seen gas stations in canada with a 15% ethanol mixture...I hear it gets all the water out of your gas tank and cleans your injectors a bit...but ya you can run it..

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

thanx. I think I might try some, mix it in. I just have to find soem place to buy it.

jp

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
            and all ethanol mixed fuels I have ran have given me shotty fuel economy.<hr></blockquote>

Yep, Ethanol burns hotter but has fewer BTU's per pound than gasoline.

Comment

I would'nt go out of my way to get ethanol. People around here hate it! Bad fuel economy and performance. And you pay more per gallon for it too!
              In the Chicago/Milwaukee area its not uncommon for people to drive 25+ miles out of their way to a station that is Not
              required to sell it.

OZ
              loaded red Y2K \'bird,t-tops,3.42 gears,G2Lid,K&N,SLP cai,BMR stb,Jet2

Comment

From what Ive read some newer cars are capable of running on E85, if I remember right there is a mag that hads a good article on it. Youd be surprised at the adaptability of it. I will try to find it and post the mag/month/day.
                I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Comment

go pick up a bottle of everclear

:)
                  2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X