Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe to use ethanol in our cars

I, along with a group, am doing a paper on alternative fuels. My topic is ethanol. Ethanol has an octane raing of 113. Could our cars run off of ethanol. If not completely, then maybe 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline?

jp

doesn't gas already contain ethonal to improve emissions (especially in the big cities during the winter months)?

Comment

Many states, including california, already put wither MTBE or Ethanol in the fuel. I have seen as high as 15% ethanol in fuel before - and all ethanol mixed fuels I have ran have given me shotty fuel economy.
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I know Ive seen gas stations in canada with a 15% ethanol mixture...I hear it gets all the water out of your gas tank and cleans your injectors a bit...but ya you can run it..

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
        05' CTS-V
        00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

thanx. I think I might try some, mix it in. I just have to find soem place to buy it.

jp

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
            and all ethanol mixed fuels I have ran have given me shotty fuel economy.<hr></blockquote>

Yep, Ethanol burns hotter but has fewer BTU's per pound than gasoline.

Comment

I would'nt go out of my way to get ethanol. People around here hate it! Bad fuel economy and performance. And you pay more per gallon for it too!
              In the Chicago/Milwaukee area its not uncommon for people to drive 25+ miles out of their way to a station that is Not
              required to sell it.

OZ
              loaded red Y2K \'bird,t-tops,3.42 gears,G2Lid,K&N,SLP cai,BMR stb,Jet2

Comment

From what Ive read some newer cars are capable of running on E85, if I remember right there is a mag that hads a good article on it. Youd be surprised at the adaptability of it. I will try to find it and post the mag/month/day.
                I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Comment

go pick up a bottle of everclear

:)
                  2002 Camaro SS 6 Spd<br />Sebring Silver Metallic<br />Still breaking it in<p>Traded in - 2002 V6 5 Spd Camaro.<p>\"I\'ll never trust squirrels again.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X