Weight Reduction, Need Help With This - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight Reduction, Need Help With This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Reduction, Need Help With This

I've been thinking of the advantages of losing some of that weight that our cars have. However, I'm not even thinking about removing interior parts such as seats, that's just stupid. So far I've removed my spare/jack and very soon the subwoofers and amp are coming out. I've been considering one of those dynabatt batteries but I don't know if it would be worth it? Any other ideas?
    C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

remove the driver remote control, lol

sorry about this post just having a little fun

i would say ur back seat would be your next step....
    1999 Firebird Black<br />A4 3.08 gears<br />Mods: Carbon Fiber Whisper Lid, Raised Air Box, K&N Air Filter, Direct Hits Ignition, Flowmaster American Thunder 3\", 160 Degree Hypertech Thermostat, SLP Fan Switch, 3\" High Flow Cat<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=273903\" target=\"_blank\">My car on Cardomain</a>

Comment

How serious are you?

Here are some ways I would consider:

- Easy: front license plate, floor mats.

- Remove the insulation/sound deadener from the back of the carpet, the door panels, behind any plastic panels in the car. I have not done this yet so I am not sure which ones have deadener behind them. It may be noisier inside but will still look stock.

- How bad do you need windshield washer fluid? Remove the fluid, canister, hose.

- Do you have aluminum driveshaft yet?

- Do you have power windows, power seats, power locks? These all add weight, and all of those options are available manual.

- If you don't plan on having passengers in the back, you could pull the seat belts and save a couple pounds each.
      1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

I would rather be with out a back seat instead of a spare tire and a jack. Then you can think always think about spending money to loose weight, The drive shaft has been brought up, aftermarket wheel aint cheap but is you buy a good set you can save about 80lbs. and that rotating mass, also an after market hood, althought I dont know what the lbs saved wopuld be. You look at a drag car.....they are stripped down to the bares....This is an old saying that holds true to an extent 100lbs is worth .10 in the 1/4. I think that is a rough calculation until you get into the 12's. I would be hard to loose 1000lbs for that extra sec., but in an all out situation that what you gotta do. If you have two equal drivetrains & two equal drivers the lighter car most likely will win.
        I have made a lot of money in my life, most of which I spent on cars and women.<p>The rest I have blown.

Comment

More ideas:

Does your car have the power hatch closing device? Mine doesn't, but I know they are extra weight, and you could find the manual kind.

You could pull the sun visors, providing you could find something decent to cover the opening left in the headliner.
          1995 Camaro M5 3.4 Quasar Blue Metallic with T-tops.<br />K&N, Jet Stage II chip, Z28 exhaust, 1LE aluminum ds. Need more power!<br />Next: Auburn posi<br />1976 Pontiac Trans Am. Street driven. Has low compression 350 Chevy runs 12.81 @ 104, 1.73 60\'

Comment

why is removing over 90 lbs worth of seats stupid? now if you were going to remove your front and rear bumper supports and still drive on the street i would say that is not even right.
            Longtubes, true duals, ram air, caspers tps tec, ls1 26lb injectors, supersix powerpack, heads milled .020, comp cam .507 220/224 114 ls, forged internals and chromeoly pushrods, bored .030 over, tb spacer, tranny built with stiffer springs and kevlar bands, bigger servo, transgo stage 3 shift kit, edge 3600 stall, 1 pc aluminum ds, 3.73 superior gears, lsd rear ,custom pcm tuning, walbro 255 in tank,

Comment

Any more ideas on this subject?
              Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

Here is a weight list I found on Magnus's website. It will give you a good idea of how much weight you are really saving.

http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/weightlist.htm

Comment

Yeah, I wasn't thinking taking out seats, glove boxes, and stuff like that. My thought is stuff like lighter K-members, Lower A-arms, drive shaft, battery, stuff like that. Any other ideas?
                  Thanks, <br />JAM<p>02 Firebird GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X