Ummm...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ummm...???

BACKGROUND HISTORY: Last November I had Chevy dealership #1 change my spark plugs. Around January, I noticed my car would stutter around 40-50 up until about 60. Took it to dealership #2 and they found a cracked spark plug. Since it was still under their workship/material warranty they replaced it...hesitation/stutter gone. So I've had roughly 9 months of stutter free performance.

This last Monday, I get on the freeway and its a little traffic so I'm cruising around 40 then give it light throttle and it stutters again. It will accelerate but buckle a little. No SES...

Tonight I tested it. From a stop, no hesitation. I got on the freeway and from 60+ there is no hesitation whether I give it light throttle or more...then I would let it cruise down to 50 then give it light-medium throttle and it stutters. Seems like the harder I punch it, the less hesitation I get.

Thanks guys...this isn't a MAJOR problem but it is annoying when I'm trying to get up to speed.

Try getting a new TPS sensor
    1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

I think I've had the same problem, Blizzard, let me did up my old thread so you can check it out...

http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=004965

There's one of em... couldn't find the first one, I think it might be gone forever. Anyway, see if that helps - if you have AIM and wanna swap stories, my screen name is Dan13408. My email's also in my profile.
      www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

OK...update.

I took it on a straight street and from roll and when I gunned it I really hesitated. It kept on hesitating until I got a blinking SES (misfire).

Now I just have a solid SES...regular driving is fine (as of now).

I'm guessing its either plugs or wires, but can anyone confirm it or any other opinions? Thanks guys...

Comment

Probably plugs and wires... bigger question may be if theres something causing plugs and wires to go bad sooner than they should.

I got little help here, so I was left with what a mechanic was telling me. He said that one of my plug wires was overheating in addition to the spark plug getting to hot and cracking.

I feel that my car goes through plugs and wires too quick. Solution: swap old exhaust manifolds for new ones in order to keep heat off the affected plug as much as possible.

You may also want to have your coils checked, they can cause missfires as well.

This is costly, you may be better off taking it to someone who knows what they're doing, but, of course, that's expensive...
          www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

Maybe you should try new plugs/wires/coils before you take it in and get hit with a huge bill from some mechanic.
            You can do it yourself and it may solve the problem or at least rule some things out.
            <b>94 Firebird, 3.4 V6, Red, M5</b><br /> SLP CAI, Accel 8mm Superstock Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs, Borla Exhaust, BMR Strut Tower Brace, 180* Thermostat, B&M Ripper Shifter<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/94bird</a>

Comment

get the code pulled, but when my knock sensor wire disconnected itself, I had a very similar problem...
              Im recomending this, b/c your plugs/wires should be alright sicne theyre so new... you getting any backfire?? I would def go to autozone and get that code pulled before you do anything else

Comment

Did another topic...

I got to code scanned and it is code 303...cylinder #3 misfire.

The only time I have hesitation is when I give it extra gas from low speeds (under 60). Normal driving is fine and if I just take it easy getting up to speed...everything is fine.

I did get a misfire...for about a minute when i really got on it...now the SES is solid. So yeah...code 303. I don't want to just take it to a shop and say "change my plugs and wires" and have that NOT be the problem.

I'm guessing I just take it to a shop and say "I have a misfire in cylinder #3". I have no idea how to work on my car other than oil changes.

Comment

you might try swapping your coils around and see if the miss follows the coil.
                  Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

If it's your spark plug wires keep burning out, do what I did. I put all new wires on, and anywhere the wires were close to the engine, I wrapped that section in Header Tape. You can buy Header Tape from any speed shop. It's a little pricey, but worth it, and never burns through.

Marc
                    sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X