Tranny about to go...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny about to go...

So I hit 120,000 on my 98 and its slipping like crazy right now. I think I'm going to have to have it rebuilt for about $1100-$1500 for most estimates.

Anyway, what I'm wondering, since I'm going to be spending that much anyway is it possible if I can just buy a new Y87 transmission with the 3.8 3rd gear and limited slip differential? Would this be much more to have done?
    \'01 Trans Am WS6 5.7L M6<br />Stock now w/ K&N and whisper lid<br />Coming soon: B&B Triflow catback, MAF, 85mm throttlebody, headers, supercharger?

WTF? the diff is not part of the trans, the gears on a Y87 car's trans should be the same as a non y87 car
    -Aaron, AKA ATL2001<br />93 3.4L <br /><a href=\"http://www.ilfba.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.ilfba.com</a>

Comment

3.8 3rd gear?

LSD in a tranny rebuild?

your A4 3rd gear should be 1:1. LSD is in the rear.

Comment

How often do you change the filter and fluid in your transmission?

Comment

Golbez, the LSD and gear ratios that you would change are not located in the transmission itself but in the rear axle where that big circle thing is, when i first started getting really interested in cars when i got my camaro I thought they change the actuall gears inside the manual transmissions and only wondered how in the world they made the gear ratio different in an automatic but after spending ALOT of time on here and looking at websites i soon realized that the gears that are changed in the axle and it all fit like a glove... have them rebuild your transmission , i dunno what a corvette servo does because i have a manual (funny thing my dad owns a transmission shop and i cleaned the transmission cases and guts with the machines but never really cared to know what each part was or did) but i'm assuming putting one of those in there would be good if it doesn't cost much more

the clutch disc in the transmission are probably worn and the plates plus if their like my dad the kits they order will have adjustments that were made over time like a new bypass hole in the valve body or something, springs might be worn, hopefully they do you right, alot of these shops are thieves... if you lived near montgomery alabama i could have my dad do it but i dunno where you live cause i didn't look at your sig... anyway good luck

[ December 27, 2003: Message edited by: Speedin96 ]</p>
          96 3.8L V6 Camaro 5-Speed<br />Vroom Vroom<br />No Power Doors / No Power Locks<br />Removed Jack and Spare<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikerob283\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain - Mikerob283</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X