HELP!!!!!!!! need avice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!!!!! need avice!!

I did not know were to post this do plesas dont get mad.
    I am about to drive 100 mile to traid my FIREBIRD v6 1996 in for a 2000 FIREBIRD and need adivice.
    My 1996 has all elec. everthing and has 73000miles I have put about $1000 I basic repars in the 5 months I have had her.
    The other car is ALL manual no power window no power looks or antinna/ it has 65000 miles and I know nothing about it.
    I know nothing about cars other than I want a Firbird.
    Any advice would be wonderfil!!
    PLEASE HELP! What should I do ././/What do I look for.?????

How much are you spending in the trade? I think I would prefer to have the creature comforts of all power items, especially windows. Maybe you should keep looking. Just my opinion.
    1996 3.8 Firebird with some mods

Comment

I owe $5400 on the 1996 and they are fixing it so I only will pay about 10 months more with the same payment I have now.
      The 2000 price is still up in the air about $9500 -$10000
      I am more worried about the quality of the 2000 under the hood because that is not my field of knowable.
      And if I get it could I have power window and locks put in???

Comment

If you want under-hood avice;
        -look at the coolant in the radiator to make sure you don't see drops of oil or alot of corrosion in there.
        -pull the oil dipstick and check that for signs of coolant (white foamy substance instad of oil).
        -look under the engine around the oil pan to see if there is oil leaks.
        -check the engine bay for corrosion/dirt, and to see if the previous owner(s) took care of cleaning it properly.
        -visually inspect the spark plug wires, battery cables, & sensor wires for cracks or heat damage.
        -have someone start the car up while you stand near the back looking at the exhaust. Check to see if there is any smoke that the pipes blow out.
        -after the engine is running, listen under the hood for any loud tapping coming from under the valve covers.

Since you are driving 100 miles, that kinda rules out having your local mechanic check the car over.

Oh, and getting power accesories added will cost quite a bit of money. My advice is if you like the power windows, locks, etc. keep your car for now, and keep looking.

-Marc
        sigpic

Comment

Get pics before you go if you can
          Run VIN check at carfax.com

Go for a test drive and go through whole engine powerband (1k - 5.5k rpm) and listen and feel it. Listen for clunks, ticking, rattling.

Comment

You probably don't have to worry about a lot of that stuff because it's a 2000. Just make sure the car wasn't built on a friday or a monday morning.

Comment

What about having a GM dealership look the car over? Even if it's not your local mechanic, schedule an appointment with a GM Mechanic up there and surprise whoever your buying it from that you're gonna have it checked out. Do you know anyone with Autotap?? maybe when you're test driving you could plug autotap in to see how everything is running. Take your time, but that price does sound high, I've seen LS1's starting to go for that price and they were fully loaded.
              AIM: Alientr8tr<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/583450\" target=\"_blank\">1998 Camaro 3.8L</a><br />Flowmaster 80-series, !FRA, Eibach Springs, KYB AGX, SLP sway bars, 3.42/LSD, Wings West kit, Z06 Motorsports, Silverstone Metallic paint<br /><a href=\"http://www.shift5.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Shift 5</a> - My Band

Comment

This wont be the most helpful post but I would highly recomend waiting. Or not sleeping until just before you have to leave and looking online to see if you cant find a better deal. I have made too many rushed decisions and I have decided that i get screwed too much. RESEARCH!! It is the best way to go.
                There is fast, too fast, and way too fast. Way too fast is almost fast enough.

Comment

I would do what AlienInv8r said and take it to a local dealership to see if there are any problems. You say this is a 2000 with 65k on the odometer? That is a ton of miles, over 16k a year being put on that car, seems to have been driven quite often. And that price seems a little high for a car with that mileage.
                  1995 Pontiac Firebird
                  2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

To tell you the truth - just chill. Go there and look at the car. See if you like it, see if you can negotiate it. 10k for no power, 65k miles 2000 (I hope it has t-tops?) is too much.

Comment

Why would you go from a 96 v6 to a 00 v6? If your going get a different car upgrade. Otherwise just keep what ya got and know.
                      1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                      Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

isnt that kinda high miles for a 2000?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X