This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS1 weight vs 3.8L

Anybody know the difference in weight roughly between a LS1 motor and a 3.8L? Just curious.

It's not much because the LS1 is compiled of aluminum alloy whereas our 3.8 is made of steel.

What part of Austin are you in, there's a couple of us f-body guys (v6 and v8 as well) that meet up every once in a while, I'm in north Austin myself.

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: xjarayax ]</p>
    AIM: escalier deverre<br />\'02 Pearl Blue Metallic RSX-S (daily driver)<br />\'98 Black Firebird<br />98 V6 turbocharged to 02 LS1 swap<br />\'02 LS1/4L60E<br />LS6 Block, LS6 Intake Manifold, Thunder Racing 215/220 .600/.523/115 Cam, Titanium Retainers, Crane Double Valve Springs, 125 shot NX Wet Kit w/ NOS brand Purge, True Dual \"H\" Pipe w/ two chambers and dumps, 17x11(rear) and 17x9.5(front) Black Powdercoated ZR1 Replicas on 315 and 275 BFGoodrich Comp T/A\'s (Street)/ET Drags/Skinnies on Weldlites(Track), 3.42/LSD

Comment

I thought it was in the neighborhood of 200 pounds?

Comment

It's roughly 100-150lbs heavier than the 3.8L

The 3.8L is not steel, its iron. The block and heads are cast, the crank is nodular, the pistons for the L36 are Hypereuclectic (hope I spelled that right...)

L67 is the same only it has forged steel rods and pistons instead of cast rods and the hyper... pistons.

Keep in mind the first cyls on our cars are almost directly over the wheel, so our moment of inertia is less than a V8 which has its mass stuck out on the nose more - hence in a given situation where the power is not needed, the V6 will outcorner the V8 on identical suspensions and rubber :D
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

So it's not just my imagination afterall! I owned a 98 z28 for about 3 years commuting more than 50mi a day through CA curvy mountain roads. The steering response was really so-so and it felt very heavy for a sports car I thought even with eibach springs, panhard rod, the works. Had to get rid of it for other reasons and got this 3.8L version cause it was the best deal on the lot, just the other day in fact. I have to say though that I am very pleased with the differences in overall handling. I thought it might have something to do with the weight difference of the two motors and where they were positioned relative to the front axle but wasn't sure.

It makes sense though. If you've ever pushed a grocery cart with, say, 4 cases of your favorite beverage set towards the front of it and try turning a corner, it's not easy. Now shift the cases more towards the middle of the cart and remove one of cases and go around the same corner, much easier! That's about the level of difference I seem to be experiencing between the two cars in terms of cornerning ability and steering response. I've lost a few things with the loss of my z28 there's no doubt about it but I feel I've gained a little more in another area which is turning out to be a very pleasant surprise. I enjoy the heck out of driving this car. Thanks for the very informative response.

Looking to get a B&M shifter, Hooker exhaust, SLP exhaust tip, cold air induction and a whisper lid, maybe a computer chip.

bye for now.

Comment

You will love the ripper - its the most solid shifter I have ever had the pleasure of using and it is currently what I use.
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X