ticking(lifter?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticking(lifter?)

So I have search for a good hour and came to a conclusion that I have a lifter tick or even a lose rocker arm or exhaust leak but thinking its a lifter. So here is alittle info got 66k or so on my 00 camaro. Had a little studder (misfire low RPMS) then sea foamed it (gas tank, Oil, boosterline) and the studder got worse. Well in between putting the sea foam in my oil and changing my oil to get the sea out there was a cold day and I stared the car and there was a ticking then went away after o... maybe 2 min after being on. I changed my oil (syn. 10w30 always) and got new MSD wires and NGK plugs, (studder gone). Then some hot days came but then it got really cold this past week, over the weekend, and today. Well all those days it has had the ticking and its very constant and loud at ideal and gets louder and more rapped when reving it. It just doesnt go away after 2 mins anymore, it take it 5 more min after it heats up all the way just before 210*. It runs great and all after warmed up never drove it ticking, but Im so anal and it just drives me crazy plus my friends that park next to me at school are ripping on me bad because of it saying (oo I didnt know they made diesel Camaros haha) Jack@$$e$. I know alot about cars and everything how they work but dont know alot about fixing them but I really dont want to pay a shop to do this and the fact of them just touching my engine drives me crazy. Would ya think I could do it myself I know I will have to remove vavle covers and prob many more things or I would I just keep f****** up my car. THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL COMMENTS. This is exactly how it sounds (got it from another persons thread when searching.)

http://media.putfile.com/ticking

Re: ticking(lifter?)

I would be proud to drive a diesel camaro (do I sound like I should have a mullet? )
    Yes, I say just tear into it (at least check the rocker arm bolts). Opening it up is the only way to find out whats going on. Make sure you label everything (bolts) so that you know where they go back (take pictures too).
    People have said to use ATF in their oil cause it has detergents to clean out the engine, but I doubt that'll work if the seafoam didnt. good luck
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Well the thing is the ticking started the first cold day after the sea foaming. Could it have caused it.

Comment

Re: ticking (lifter?)

my man, I had the E X A C T same thing going on, in my '99 3.8 (started at 77K miles)

same sound, same duration :burn:

I am convinced it is a sticking lifter -- anything else, and it would not go away once sufficient oil worked it's way in there.

I handled it in 3 oil changes:
        1. oil change with "Lucas" oil additive
        2. next oil change, no additives
        3. third oil change, put Slick 50 in

I am now 10K miles since that third step, no more noise...

Comment

Re: ticking (lifter?)

ATF fixed mine
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

well I want to say im not even close to 500 miles on my oil change now after I sea foamed it so I guess I will wait. I did see that some people cleared the prob. like this but not alot then I also heard the only real way to fix a valvetrain noise/prob. is to replace the bad part/s or tighten whatever is lose(rocker blot,ect) but I will look into how you fix your problem more.

Comment

Change your oil again. After you seafoam your car, that first oil change isn't going to get all the seafoamed gunk out of there.

Before you get into taking off your valve covers and what not.......change your oil and this time use the lucas additive and then crank it up and let it sit for a few minutes and take it for a spin.......see if you still have that tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanquish
                Change your oil again. After you seafoam your car, that first oil change isn't going to get all the seafoamed gunk out of there.

Before you get into taking off your valve covers and what not.......change your oil and this time use the lucas additive and then crank it up and let it sit for a few minutes and take it for a spin.......see if you still have that tick.

and I keep the lucas addtive/oil till the next oil change, no changing it early? and what does it come in? how much would I add to my oil? sorry for all the questions

Comment

gaurente what happen when you seafoamed a chunk of crap it lossend up from somwhere else got stuck in a lifter i would seriously try trans fluid but dont drive the car with it in its to abrasive for that just let it idle for 10 - 20 min then shut it off wait for it to cool down all the way and start it again if its gone shut it off and drain the oil right then(hot oil thats recently circulated suspends more crap than if you let it sit and settle) if its still doing it your probably looking at a new lifter but its not that hard to do at all. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by gotchocmilk39
                    and I keep the lucas addtive/oil till the next oil change, no changing it early? and what does it come in? how much would I add to my oil? sorry for all the questions
                    ask all the questions you want ! that's why we're all here...

the lucas stuff comes in various sizes. you need 16 oz.
                    it comes in a tubular, white container, with a needle spout.

yes, keep the "lucas & regular oil" mixture in until your next normal oil change.

substitute 1/2 quart of the lucas stuff for 1/2 quart of oil...

it's true that the only real way to fix a valvetrain noise/prob. is to replace the bad part(s) or tighten whatever is loose -- but in our case there isn't really a defective part or loose item, rather an anomaly.

and in the event none of this clears it up: nothing ventured, nothing gained

Comment

UPDATE: Ok so here is the story today started the car up this morning ticked only for 30sec (it sits in the garage so not as cold I guess). Went to school, when school was over started the car and the ticking started and faded slow then got really loud and 5-10 min later it was fully warmed up and still ticking. So I got an idea that I should try different gears but still not drive it. So I poped it in D for alittle then nothing then N then nothing then R and waited and it slowly faded till it went away and it did it quite fast to, so I poped it back into P and sat there for a min then drove away. Went to the gas station and got a half a tank premium was already half tank full of Reg.. I always fill up with Reg. never with premium. Then I drove home and pulled in the garage and turned it off sat for a min then turned it back on and it ticked for 10 sec max. Then came in side and not 5min later my mom called wondering how it ran and wanted me to turn it on for her so she could here it to see if it went away and I tryed to trun it on but it tried to but shut off real quick with a big cloud of smoke couldnt tell what color windy out. BUT THERE WAS NOT A TICK AT ALL. So i wait another 15 min and started it up again and nothing no ticking. I heard of the injectors tick but not loud like a lifter??? & this was loud just like the link I posted earlier. But im going to change my oil and filter again but this time use Syn. 5w30 and not Syn 10w30 never wen this thin in oil though and thoughts?. Well thank you all for the help on this hopefully this problem wont return.

Comment

So went out at 8 and started it up and it has that damn knock tick thing so I gues it didnt fix it but Im still going to do the thinner oil change and if that doesnt help in the cold weather I know my mom wont let me tare down and fix the car myself so I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.

Comment

Bro,

it's not the gas...

it's not the injectors...

don't get all crazy about the sound coming & going -- a lifter getting hung up like this doesn't necessarily follow any logical pattern.

in the winter, you could go as low as 0-20W oil... you're not going to mess anything up.

REMEMBER -- tearing into the motor is your last resort

right now, this is a nuisance -- not a problem !

Comment

this is true

Comment

so I got the Luccas hevy duty oil stabilizer and going to change it this weekend with some Moble Syn. 5w 30. I got a question though, what is so different from the lucas and the sea foam? They are both 100% petroleum but the lucas is so much thicker. From what I know you dont want to keep the sea foam in your oil for long so why can I keep this stuff in for so long? Thanks again for all the help I really appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X