Spark Advance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark Advance

So I had my new OBS reader hooked up to my car last night and was checking out the live data from the PCM and noticed that the spark advance was different than any other gm ive ever seen.

At idle its at -5 degrees and at WOT it hit -40 degrees.

Is this normal for our cars? If not, what would cause this.

Most new GM's I've seen have a spark advance of around 30-40 degrees at WOT A negeative value that high doesnt make sense to me.
    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Re: Spark Advance

mine hits like 27 at wot

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
    Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
    http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

negative would be spark retard, not spark advance. Thats weird its that high tho
      Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Dawizman
        So I had my new OBS reader hooked up to my car last night and was checking out the live data from the PCM and noticed that the spark advance was different than any other gm ive ever seen.

At idle its at -5 degrees and at WOT it hit -40 degrees.

Is this normal for our cars? If not, what would cause this.

Most new GM's I've seen have a spark advance of around 30-40 degrees at WOT A negeative value that high doesnt make sense to me.
        Your probably just seeing the Torque Management part of the tune. You are probably seeing this when you are shifting and TM decreases timing? Am I right? There are ALOT of tables in the tune that will decrease timing. Its hard to tell from what little description you have given

Originally posted by Kidcamaro98
        negative would be spark retard, not spark advance. Thats weird its that high tho
        high? you mean that negative?
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

I was reading the HP Tuners write up, and they said that the negative numbers are actually spark advance.
          ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
          A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer
            I was reading the HP Tuners write up, and they said that the negative numbers are actually spark advance.
            Yes you are right.
            There is a Spark Advance Table and a Spark Retard table.
            - negative numbers in the Advance table act as retardation though.

If you really wanna be technical:
            In the Spark Retard table, if you have - negative spark retard that means it is really advance.
            2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yes in the tables you do spark advancement by subtrating the numbers....when your running a scan and pull up the charts it will tell you your advancement.
              Juiced Rally Red 98 A4<br /><br />Way too much to list....<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2263415</a>

Comment

http://lsx.i8.com/untitled.jpg
                you have to copy and paste it
                The background is the spark retard tables

the Foreground is the High Octane spark advance, which
                will have - negatives, and those are counted as retardation.
                Last edited by slow6; 01-25-2007, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Well, I dont know how much more dtail I can give. I'm seeing a constant -5 degrees Spark Advance whel at idle, and btween -35 and -40 degrees at WOT in our out of gears (5 speed).

Driving around town casually, I'm seeing around -25 degrees.

Comment

....and it lacks power that it used to have?

Comment

Originally posted by slow6

I never siad that. I just thought it was odd the according to my computer its retarding the spark by 40 degrees. Just wondering if I had some possible computer problem, or if it was completly normal with these engines.

Comment

Originally posted by slow6
                        that was a question, hence the ? question mark

If you are not lacking power I find it hard to believe you are actually -40* of timing. Its probably 40*

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X