oil pan gasket change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pan gasket change

mechanic said the oil pan gasket is the cause of my slight oil leak and needs changing and taht it'd be a 4 hour job. So tha'ts like 350 (i think around there).He also said they'd have to drop the exhaust and possibly lower then engine a little. How difficult is this thing to change? I might be able to use a lift (my dad has a friend), so taht'd be a plus. anyone whose changed it before, or knows about it, ur advice would be awesome.

Re: oil pan gasket change

what car do you have. the 3.8s are a pretty big PIA but do able even in the driveway
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

woops, sry. It's a 1997 3.8. Don't have headers on it (i think i heard that makes a difference).

Comment

ahahahahhahahhahahahhahahha, 4 hours, yeah the **** right, it took me a week, its a royal pita, i wouldnt attempt it unless you have a good variety of tools and are prepared to break ****, you better be damn comfortable with it too, its not really a driveway job, its a garage job

Comment

oh gee thanks. Good thing i'm not a coward that's easily influenced by one persons misfortune. Now if it's multiple ppl's misfortunes that i hear, that's a diff story. But thank you for your input. I am now officialy a little more than nervous, but still looking to try and do it.

anyone else....plz???? lol

Comment

i did mine pretty easily, but then it was on an engine stand at the time, and I did the RMS also.

sorry, not really helping you, but start early, wear warm clothes, and take your time. It's also like a $35 part.
            1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
            2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
            94 comero 3.4

Comment

Have fun, I did mine, along with bottom end bearings and crank polish with the motor out. Now, knowing where the oil pan is located in regards to the K-member, good luck, gonna take lots of work.

Comment

i've done mine twice. it's the biggest pita. if you don't know what your really doing. do even try. in my car i had to drop my exhaust, lift my engine, take off the start, pull off some pullies, etc cause if scrap your block, or put a ding on the rim of you pan, your just screwed up and then have to order other parts. if you do it. make so that you take a blade and clean the block and pan, and clean clean clean clean clean. if there is anything on it, you run the risk of getting another leak. i learn that the hard way!!!
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Before you start you will need a Chiltons or Haynes to help you. But once you read how to do it you may find it better to have a shop do it.
                  2000 Firebird A4, 3.42 LSD, K&N, Free Cold Air, PaceSetter, 3" in/out Catco, 3" S-Pipe, 3" Intermidiate Pipe, 2.5" Flowmaster 80

Comment

Originally posted by runtwrestlin
                    mechanic said the oil pan gasket is the cause of my slight oil leak and needs changing and taht it'd be a 4 hour job. So tha'ts like 350 (i think around there).He also said they'd have to drop the exhaust and possibly lower then engine a little. How difficult is this thing to change? I might be able to use a lift (my dad has a friend), so taht'd be a plus. anyone whose changed it before, or knows about it, ur advice would be awesome.
                    just sent you a pdf on the procedures, you can think Daniel (Bah?) sorry Dan I don't remember your screenname, but he sent them to me. If anyone else want's a copy of the PDF file shoot me an email to bdu1234@yahoo.com
                    -Brad
                    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                    :rock:

Comment

Originally posted by black98V6
                      just sent you a pdf on the procedures, you can think Daniel (Bah?) sorry Dan I don't remember your screenname, but he sent them to me. If anyone else want's a copy of the PDF file shoot me an email to bdu1234@yahoo.com
                      if you sent it to runtwrestlin@yaho.com, i didn't get it. try p.peterson@unf.edu

Ya, i have a chilton, just finished lookin it over. Looks like it could be fun. lol. I'll sure learn alot more about my engine.

And thanks for the info everyone. Now i've just gotta figure out when my dad an i are gonna do it (if we do it. might go with the shop after all...so indecisive.).

Comment

350 sounds like a good deal, just make sure it's 350$ before they do the job, because it would be hard as hell to do that in 4 hours.

Camaro V6 - 14.3 @ 96mph
                        Camaro SS - cam/boltons/m6/tune
                        http://www.crfhq.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X