seafoam, oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seafoam, oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seafoam, oil crank case cleaner, green antifreeze

what exactly is seafoam?

I looked at their website, but couldnt really find anything. Is it just something like a chemical?

also, what is hydro-lock?

How thick is the smoke? Lets say i used it on an engine with 92,000 miles on it that has never had it done to it? Anyone got any pictures?

also, what happens if i DONT change the spark plugs right away? Can i change them like after winter?

Now, lets say i have an engine that had its oil changed 5 times and it has 100,000 miles on it. Will the seafoam take all of the crap out of the engine, and make it like it has had normal oil changes? Also, if it hasnt had alot of oil changes, then wouldnt it be bad for the engine? (because there is so much dirt in there, and after you take the dirt out, there is now a bunch of gaps)?

I did a search on seafoam at school today, and i can tell you, none of these questions have been answered in all of the pages i looked at.

Also, i have an unrelated question..

Instead of putting seafoam in ym engine, i would rather get some kind of engine cleaner, and here is what i mean:

I want something where i pour it into my oil filler tube (just like you do with some of the seafoam) and i run the engine for a while, and it cleans all of the gunk and **** in the engine and then i pour that out, and put normal oil in? Or is this what seafoam does? (and if it is, can i just put the seafoam in the crankcase only, instead of sucking it through the brake booster?)

and my 3rd thing has to do with dexcool.

Should i take it out? I have seen many different opinions... You MUST put dexcool in the engine because it is dexcool only... if you put the green stuff in, it will corrode and destroy your water pump.... dexcool sucks, and will ruin your engine.... i have put the green stuff in my engine, and evereything is fine..

ect ect.

My friend is a mechanic and says it wolnt work, because it will corrode stuff... and he says that there is no way to get all of the dexcool out, and it will mix with the green stuff, and mess it up.

so.. what are your guy's opinions on it? i have a 3800 in my 98 camaro.. if i did this, how much antifreze would it take? (We have cold winters here, and hot summers i would say avg temp in wither is 32F or below.. and the avg summer temp is 85F) Im assuming i would just want to do a 50/50 mix.. so how much water and green stuff would it take?

Oh yea.. how much oil does my car take? I bought it used just recently, and it doesnt have the manual. so how much does it take? (including the filter) my impala has a 3.4 and it takes like 4.2L or something stupid like that...

thanks alot [img]smile.gif[/img]

oh yea.. another question..

it says to run 10W30 in the engine..

is it ok to run 5W30? I mean.. it still is 30w in the summer.. and it gets pretty cold here.

Comment

Seafoam in the oil cleans the bottom end and inside the oil passages. Seafoam in the vacuum line cleans the top end and combustion chambers. Both things are what Seafoam is designed to do, I would not be concerned about doing both. When pouring in the brake booster line I found it easiest to use the screw-on pour spout from a bottle of gear oil or similar, so that you can more easily meter the amount you put in at one time. It is going to really steam up, do not use inside a garage or other enclosed area.

I would stay with whatever your car came with (coolant).

5W30 should be fine to use in place of 10W30.
      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

Just make sure you flush your engine with water several times before change antifreeze. every thing should be fine. I just converted mine from dexcool to the green stuff a few days ago. Not trying to be mean/smarta$$ or anything, but i would not recommend buying a car that has 100k miles and has only had 5 oil changes. Im sure that engine is ready to be salvaged. I dont see how it is even still running. But thats just my thinking.
        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

thanks.

im thinking about putting some seafoam in my oil, and running it for a while.

what are the directions for that? Can i use a full can? How long should i run it with the oil? (like idle it for 15 min, or drive it for 100 miles.. ect)

the reason i ask this is because when i got my car, the oil was clean, and changed, and since then i have put 50 miles on it (its winter here, so im not using it as the main car) but anyway, the oil is kinda dirty (im assuming the person who had it before me didnt do regular oil changes).

I have heard that putting stuff like that in the oil can ruin the main berings... is this true?

Comment

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
            http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
            Or this

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X