whats causing this noise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats causing this noise?

Alright, my assumption is it could be the cv joint if there is one on the car. i know front wheel drive cars have them, but i'm not sure on rear wheel. anyhow, when i turn the wheel to the right, usually a moderate to hard turn, i hear a fairly loud clanking noise in the front like its hitting something, sorta like pop pop pop pop. once i cut the wheel back the other way, it goes away. I first noticed it once it started getting really cold out. the noise does not occur when i turn the wheel to the left, only the right. anyone have any suggestions? i checked my power steering fluid and that seems alright. but the problem is definitely in the steering components.
    Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Re: whats causing this noise?

Im not 100% but I think it may be in the wheel bearings. Jack both front wheels up and see if they will wiggle and if they do to any extent then your wheel bearings are going bad. If its not them then check your tie rods.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

my over the internet diagnosis is wheel bearings
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

That's kinda funny because I was just going to ask this same question. I noticed mine starting doing it when it got cold out and only when I turn hard left like when I'm backing out of my parking space. On average, how much would wheel bearings cost?

Comment

How long do wheel bearings last(mileage)?
          Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

I've always understood wheel bearings to just make a roaring noise when they start to go bad? This noise is nothing like a roar, it is like a loud clicking/tapping. What makes it hard to diagnose without taking it to a shop is that i'm away at school in the mountains and the car sits a lot now. I went from driving it every day for atleast a few hours, to maybe once a week. The cold weather up here doesn't help the cause either. If it is the wheel bearings, perhaps i can just repack them with the bearing grease and all is good.
            Last edited by Harrison; 02-05-2007, 03:49 PM.
            Black 1996 3.8 Firebird T5, SLP CAI, Pacesetter Ceramic Headers,160* t-stat, PCMforLess Tune, Flowmaster American Thunder catback, Car Sounds Cat, custom s-pipe, MSD coils and wires, NGK plugs, 3.42 posi rear, B&M Ripper, 245/50 BFG-G-force's

Comment

Originally posted by Harrison
              If it is the wheel bearings, perhaps i can just repack them with the bearing grease and all is good.
              Not ours. Sealed.
              Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X